Chapter 5

An hour later, I was cramped in the bed of the truck with the crew as Sarah and John B sat up front. I tried to avoid eye contact with anyone but it was difficult because there was no where else to look.

"Home sweet home. Take us to your mansion fancy pants." Terrence drawled to Sarah from next to me. She ignored him as we turned the corner to Island Paradise.

"Alright, this is it." John B said, signaling for us to get under the tarp. I reluctantly slid it over me, squished up next to Cleo. We still hadn't talked since our fight.

We all listened as John B made up a dumb excuse about a leaf blower. Luckily Sarah jumped in to help him out and security let us through.

The truck pulled in through the gate and I couldn't help but stare as the huge mansion was revealed. They had a fountain in the front and statues at the entrance. I'd never seen a place like this up close in my life.

We waited as Sarah searched through the bushes for a key.

"Gotta be pretty rich to have a waterfall in your front yard." Terrance commented.

"Kook life." I mumbled.

"I absolutely love what you've done with the landscaping." the captain continued irritably as Sarah revealed the key inside a sea shell. I walked up to stand next to John B and let out a sigh of relief when the door opened without trouble.

Everyone collectively stood still as we waited to see who would be the first to enter. I took a step towards Sarah and brushed my hand against hers, attempting to comfort the nervous girl. She shot me a grateful smile before turning back to the others.

"C'mon." she whispered, nodding her head towards the door. We all filed in behind her, Stubbs bringing up the rear. I could feel John B's nervous breath on my neck as he trailed behind Sarah and I.

"I'm assuming the safe is up there?" I questioned, pointing up a set of stairs.

"That's where I saw it." John B nodded. We continued upwards and I saw Cleo clutch her knife tightly. There was an ominous feeling about the mansion. Almost like we were being watched.

We turned at the top of the stairs and John B pushed passed me, walking over to a big object in the corner. I squinted in the dimly lit room, walking closer. It was only when Sarah bent down and started fiddling with the lock that I realized it was the safe.

"Okay, let's see here." Sarah said quietly, her hands shaking. I walked over and leaned against the side of the safe.

"It's okay." I mouthed, trying to reassure myself along with her.

"Showtime girlie, you best remember that combo." Terrance's voice rumbled from behind as Sarah started punching in numbers on the lock. She pulled on the door but it held fast. I turned to see Terrance's unamused expression.

"I knew I should have never listened to you." The captain's voice rose and he turned away, shaking his head.

"Usually he uses his birthday." Sarah said, becoming panicky, "Maybe I entered it wrong?"

She tried again but the door jammed when she retried it. I clenched and unclenched my hands. At any point Terrence could flick his hand to instruct Stubbs and Cleo to grab us and tie us up.

"Chop chop. Lets go." Terrance said impatiently.

"I'm trying!" Sarah exclaimed.

"What about Rose?" John B offered.