Chapter Two: Legitimacy

Quiet mornings were always Aemma's favorite, and after marrying Aegon, she had them almost every day. Her husband was a heavy sleeper, and he usually didn't rise until noon, which left her in bed reading her favorite book with her cat Balerion curled up in her lap. It had been six years since they married, and things were quite peaceful at court.

At least, they were until today.

Her brother's legitimacy was being called into question, and they would be hosting a trial today. The anxiety leading up to today had been torturous, and her only comfort had been spending time with her young son, Laenor. Despite being married right after the incident on Driftmark, Aegon and Aemma hadn't had him until about three years ago.

She peeks up from her book as a knock comes at the door, and Balerion hops off of the bed, his large, black body bounding to the giant wooden door as the queen enters, looking rather peaceful. Still worried, though, Queen Alicent was always worried.

"Your mother and siblings have arrived," Alicent says, her eyes darting to where her oldest child lies, still fast asleep. "Rhaenyra requests that you join her for a meal before the... hearing." This catches Aemma's attention and she puts down her book, her eyes lighting up. A little body bounds into the room, jumping onto the bed. It was none other than her son, Laenor. His hair was unruly, but he was dressed. It was likely that Althea had started dressing him, but he'd tagged along to visit his parents once his grandmother showed up. Laenor's hair often reminded Aemma of her brothers. It was fluffy and unruly, something he no doubt got from Aegon. "I should get dressed and meet her, then."

┍━━━━━━━ ˗ˏˋ ꒰ ♡ ꒱ ˎˊ˗━━━━━━━┑

Rhaenyra paces the room as she waits for her daughter's arrival.

"She'll be here any moment, I'm sure," Daemon smiles as he watches his wife pace. Rhaenyra sends him a dirty look, her purple irises blazing with worry. "That is only if Alicent went to fetch her. I have not seen my daughter in six years, Daemon, and we did not attend her wedding... for all we know she could resent us." She places a hand on her swollen stomach as the memories of that night on Driftmark come flooding back. She had been devastated when Aemma had been taken from her. She was Rhaenyra's first child and her only daughter, being separated from her had left Rhaenyra depressed, and they hadn't gone to the wedding due to Rhaenyra's disdain for Aegon. It had been unfair, Rhaenyra knew that, and she regretted that choice now more than ever.

Before her husband could say anything in response the large wooden door opened, revealing Aemma in all of her glory. Grown and beautiful, Rhaenyra hardly noticed the little boy in her daughter's arms.

"Mother, I'm so glad to see you," Aemma says softly, standing next to Queen Alicent as she smiles at her mother. Rhaenyra loses her breath, looking at her daughter with wide eyes. Aemma was wearing a dark blue gown, her color of choice, and her long snowy hair was loose and flowing down her back. It was obvious that she had hurried to meet them there, and Rhaenyra could not help but find that comforting. Maybe her daughter did not hold disdain for her after all. Walking towards her mother, Aemma happily introduces them to her son. "This is little Laenor," she says, smiling at her mother and stepfather as Rhaenyra grows teary-eyed at the revelation of the little boy's name. Rhaenyra shares a look with Alicent at the mention of this child being her daughter. "You had him? He's yours?" "And Aegon's, of course," Aemma laughs a little, sitting down at the table, and letting her son waddle around the room.

"Ah, where is he?" Daemon questions, sitting next to her before pouring himself a goblet full of wine. Alicent grimaces before taking a seat herself. "Still in their bed-chamber, he usually doesn't wake until noon, I'm afraid." Alicent sighs, turning her head into her hands as Aemma giggles lightly. "Yes, well, today is not being rushed. We can enjoy breakfast before today's trial... besides, I haven't seen my mother in years, so it would be good to catch up." Alicent nods her head before standing from her seat. "I'll leave you, then. I've still to visit Helaena," Alicent clasps Aemma's hand tenderly before taking her leave.