28 | the rules of your creed

OUTER-RIM TERRITORIES

The door opens and Kenny looks up from the corner of the room, she's sat crisscrossed on the floor with a blanket being her only source of comfort. Her lips lift up slightly as Din walks in, the pram floating behind him.

Dusting herself off by wiping at her knees, forgetting the grease and oil from the busted motor she was trying to fix as she walks towards the kid's pram.

'He's out cold.'

'Yeah.'

Din grunts as he lands on bed, toeing off his shoes, 'How'd you tire him out?'

'Just... talked to him.'

She pushes the button, shutting the lid of the pram and putting it to one side of the bed, a small chuckle leaves her mouth as she glances over at him, 'You talked?'

'Yeah.'

'You?'

'Why are you finding this hard to believe?' He asks, tossing a boot in her direction, she dodges it, bending down to place it upright and against the wall, 'I talk to you all the time.'

'Only to tell me everything I do wrong.'

'I complimented you yesterday.'

She straightens her back and raises a brow, hands placed on her hips loosely, 'You asked me if I'd showered?'

'You smelt nice.'

She rolls her eyes and shakes her head with another quiet chuckle, brushing her hair over her shoulder as she stretches. She arches her back before twisting in an odd way to get the final pop of her spinal cord. Din cringes beneath his helmet, never quite sure why she still does that, surely it hurts.

Maybe it's the amount of time she spends sleeping on the floor.

She disappears for a few seconds, pulling the curtain that separates the fresher and the dingy motel room closed. He watches her shadow walk away, hearing the tap turn on as she washes her face and brushes her teeth.

When she comes back out she's ditched her white button up for a long sleeved t-shirt, her same black pants on as she has no other. (Definitely not because Din had somehow accidentally put her other pair on by mistake causing them to rip one night when he was rushing to get to the kid who had awoken crying.)

Her hair is braided loosely down her back, the same usual baby hairs falling in her eyes, she's learned to ignore them the past couple months. There's some old fabric she'd found on the ship tied around her hair in a bow to keep it in, it's longer now so she can style it differently.

'Wait.'

She pauses, looking up from where she stands above her little space, a blanket and a couple of pillows, 'Take the bed.'

She shakes her head, 'I've slept on worse. I'll be fine.'

'No, I- you take it.'

She lowers herself down, sitting on the floor to pull off her boots, 'I'm fi-'