~ The Kingdom of the Sea: Chapter 24 ~

Comenzar desde el principio

"Princess Auklet." Anemone's smile widened. "I like that."

"Me too," Tsunami said softly.

"Auklet it is then." Anemone gently took her from Tsunami's talons and held her in front of her face. Auklet reached out and put her talon on Anemone's snout, staring at her curiously.

"I'm glad you're here," Tsunami said, moving so she could wrap a wing around Anemone. Anemone leaned against her. "I couldn't let you go without saying goodbye," Anemone said quietly. "I wanted to see you one last time."

"It won't be the last time," Tsunami promised. She placed her snout on Anemone's head. Anemone tilted her head up and closed her eyes. "We'll see each other again," Tsunami went on. "I promise."

You see? Hare looked at Catfish, who finally locked eyes with her for more than a few heartbeats. We will see each other again.

"This isn't the only reason I'm here." Holding Auklet in one talon, Anemone reached out and grabbed the closest stick. "I'm going to help you find the dragon who tried to kill you."

Tsunami's eyes widened. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Very." Anemone held up the stick. "Stick, find the dragon who tried to kill Tsunami and bring them here." When she saw Catfish's worried look, Anemone added, "And make sure they can't see how to get here or how to get back."

Anemone released the stick. Hare watched in amazement as it zipped through the vines and disappeared through the trees.

"Now we wait." Anemone sat down, continuing to smile at Auklet.

"Someone tried to kill you?" Sunny squeaked, looking at Tsunami with wide eyes. The SeaWing didn't answer.

"Are you sure you should've done that?" Tsunami said uncertainly, looking in the direction the stick had gone. "I mean, I've heard stories about animus dragons losing their souls if they use their magic too much."

"I have, too," Anemone told her. "But I'm not like them, I never will be." Her next words turned Hare's blood cold. "I won't be like Albatross."

I know him!

Hare almost blurted the words out, but she swallowed them. "What did he do?" she asked, trying to seem calm.

"Horrible things," Anemone replied without looking away from Auklet. "He murdered almost his entire family. His magic drove him mad."

That's what Cowrie meant when he said Albatross lost his love for his family.

"He took over the kingdom for a while," Anemone continued. "The SeaWings were a mess. Albatross was a cruel king, but somehow he had a group of loyal followers. His grandson, Fathom, had to return and stop him." Anemone shuttered. "That was a messy challenge. Fathom's own son turned on him and sided with Albatross. His sister had to kill him."

Three moons, Albatross is horrible! And Orca, she must know the story, she's training with him!

"Uhm, I've heard stories about a dragon named Cowrie," Hare said. "Who was he?"

Anemone put Auklet down and looked at Hare with a confused expression. "If you've heard stories, then surely you must know he was the son that betrayed Fathom."

Hare swallowed hard. That explained two of the dragons in the Place of Lost Souls.

How could anyone train there? How could Orca? Surely she must know she's betraying her kingdom?

"Where did you hear those stories?" Tsunami asked. Hare didn't answer.

Suddenly the sound of someone struggling sounded through the air. Hare turned to the vines.