4

(Abi's pov)
I turn around as I close the door and our mothers are still sitting at the table discussing their evil plan. I get that they're worried about the fact that Hannah might still be under Sarah's spell but hanging her is not the solution.

Hannah is probably the sweetest girl I've ever met. It's not like she is going to kill somebody. Though that is what I thought about Sarah too... I don't really know who to trust anymore after finding out my sister died and the fact that one of my dearest friends might be responsible for it. I just can't think about it. It's too cruel.

I walk to my room and shut the door behind me as I let myself fall onto my bed. I don't know what to think anymore. I always used to agree about the fact that lesbians should be hanged but now that it's my best friend... I don't know anymore. I can't just agree for people to kill my best friends.

I let out a deep sigh as I get back up to put on my nightgown. I look in the mirror as I let down my hair and put it back into it's place. My head is hurting from wearing a bun all day.

As I see my reflection in the mirror I honestly don't know who I'm looking at. Everyone knows who they are. At least Sarah and Hannah knew who they are despite their differences. I kind of wish I knew too.

I know I would be working against God if I started supporting Hannah for who she is. But is God really right if what I'd have to do is hang my best friend?

I shake my head to let go of my thoughts and lay myself down in my bed. I can hear the mothers talking from here. Which is kind of a good thing cause that means I can hear what they're planning.

"Okay, so tomorrow morning after church we go talk with pastor Goode and see what he says."

"Good idea. We can't keep this sickness in our settlement."

"All right so see you tomorrow at church. Make sure your children don't get to Hannah. They can't possibly try to protect her."

I feel this knot in my throat not allowing me to breathe. How will they make sure we don't leave the house when they will be going to church? That's not possible. We're getting to Hannah either way.

-

"Abi get up!" I hear mother shouting from the kitchen.

I groan as I sit up allowing myself to wake up. I'm wide awake when I remember our plan about Hannah. I get up quickly to see if mother is leaving to go to church.

When I arrive in the kitchen I can see that she's ready to leave which relieves me that our plan is working. Until it doesn't.

"Abi, you're coming with me to church."

"What?" My face drops immediately when she says that. This was NOT part of the plan.

"Today is a special day to pray in church. We're not only praying for us today but we're praying for the entire settlement. So no one will get sick again." She says with a smirk on her face. I know that face all too well. She knows about our plan.

"Mother I can't go." I say in a weak tone. There's only one way to not go to church and that is faking.

"What now?" She asks in an annoyed tone.

"I feel really sick. I think I might throw up." I say as convincing as possible.

"You're fine." She says as she rolls her eyes. "Now let's go."

This can't be happening. I can't just bail on our plan. I have to find another way.

She opens the door waiting for me to go with her. I have to go. I know I won't be able to change her mind.