Leonor felt his hands on her nape, as he pushed her hair to the side and clasped hundreds of pounds worth of jewelry around her neck. He looked her up and down at the reflection, a subtle nod conforming to his satisfaction. "There, now you have my approval, wife."

She smiled, bunching her hair up, getting a better look at the necklace as she teased him. "...oh thank you, now I can finally breathe."

Thomas chuckled, getting a whiff of her perfume as she let her hair down, clearing his throat as Leonor walked past him. "What do you need Ada's help for?"

Leonor shrugged, turning her head to face him. "Would you believe? To choose a necklace." She almost laughed, as she brought her hand to the choker on her neck before entering the dressing room. "Thank you, husband."

As they left the store, even on the way back to Arrow, they remained silent for most of the time. It appeared neither wanted to talk about their meetings. Thomas with his usual associates and Leonor with Polly.

But he was the first to break the silence, for a change. "I heard you ran into Polly today."

Leonor lifted her chin off her wrist as she shifted her gaze from the horizon to him. "She wasn't at the wedding."

Thomas frowned, nodding. "No, she wasn't."

"You didn't invite her?"

"I did." He took a deep breath, as Leonor looked down. "Why do you ask?"

"She doesn't like me and I was hoping it would be because of that but...well."

"She'll warm up to you." Thomas saw himself lying, noticing how Polly's dislike of Leonor seemed to bother her.

"You don't have to lie." Leonor laughed, shifting in her seat as the car approached the manor. "And it's okay, she doesn't have to like me."

"So why are you so upset?" He asked, waiting for her to step out of the car, dismissing the driver.

"I'm not upset." She took his hand as she got out of the car, but he didn't let go.

"You don't have to lie." Thomas let go of her hand, signaling for her to go first. "Tell me the truth."

"I'm not upset, Thomas. I'm just...used to it." Leonor shrugged, reminiscing how no one from her father's side of the family liked her and how much they wanted to make it known. "I'm used to, I have no allies here." No friends, no family, no nothing.

He stopped to look at her eyes, trying to find a hint of a lie, but found sadness instead and he didn't need her to have another of her angry screaming crying fits, so changing the subject was he chosen strategy. "Thank you, wife. I'm so glad to hear that."

She laughed at his expression, walking inside, aloof to Thomas's inner thoughts as they began to get ready for the ball.

You have no allies here, eh? Well, that makes two of us them.

—-----------------------------

The grand hall of Diana's gala was bathed in the warm glow of chandeliers that hung from the high ceiling. The walls adorned with tapestries and artwork added a touch of opulence to the atmosphere. Soft, classical music floated through the air, played by a string quartet positioned strategically in a corner.

Guests, elegantly dressed in an array of sophisticated attires, mingled with glasses of champagne in hand. Women wore flowing gowns in various hues, the fabric whispering as they moved gracefully across the polished floor. Men, in tailored suits, engaged in conversation, their arrogant laughter echoed louder than the music.