I don't even realize someone has approached my station until I feel a soft hand against my back - between my shoulderblades. Jumping slightly, I look up to see Alfie, and he's giving me a small smile.

"Hey," he says before he grabs the stool I sit on while tattooing, bringing it over so that he can sit down next to me. "Still working on this one?"

I've been working on this particular piece for the past couple of days, but that's because it was one of the more detailed ones I had been tasked with since starting to work on my own.

"Yeah, just trying to get everything right," I shrug, looking back to the sketch.

"It's looking great so far, Carter. You've come so far," he compliments me, and I feel him reach out to brush his knuckles along the side of my neck.

My eyes look up from my sketch again to stare at the wall in front of me when I feel his skin against mine. I knew that Alfie was trying to work up to something more between the two of us, and as much as I did enjoy flirting with him, I wasn't attracted to him in that way.

"Thanks," I clear my throat, my eyes finding him once more. "Did you need something?

"Uh, yeah, actually," he says, dropping his hand back into his lap. "I was wondering if I could maybe take you out on a date before the wedding. I know that right now everything has been on a friendship level with us, but I was really hoping to...I don't know. I would kind of like to see if this could go further."

I take a minute to gather my thoughts before I put my pencil down - turning to face him. "I've actually been meaning to talk to you about the wedding, Alfie. My mind has just been a bit everywhere this week so I kept forgetting."

"Okay, yeah, what's up?"

Looking down for a moment, I work up the courage to say the next words. "I think I just want to go to the wedding by myself."

It's silent between the two of us, and I give it a few more seconds before I look back up at him. His expression is one that I can't read - causing me to dig my fingertips into the denim covering my thigh.

"I promise that it's nothing against you personally. I've just been going through some stuff, and I feel like it's best if I just go and do that whole day alone," I try to explain as best as I can, but deep down I have to keep the real reason for not wanting him there.

It didn't feel right to bring a date after what happened between Harry and I. It was hard for me to think about being around anyone in such a setting, and I knew it would just be better if I was on my own.

"Y-you're sure I didn't do anything wrong?" Alfie asks, his eyes now growing with concern. "If I made you feel uncomfortable, I apologize, Carter. I never meant to overstep."

I shake my head, reaching out to place my hand over his for a moment - squeezing it before pulling it away. "Not at all, Alfie. This is just something that I've been thinking about, and for the both of us, I think it's just best if I go dateless, honestly."

Alfie frowns at my words, but he nods. "It's okay, I understand. If you end up changing your mind, please let me know. I'd still be more than happy to go with you."

"Yeah, I'll definitely let you know," I nod, sending him a weak smile. "Thank you for being so understanding."

I can tell he feels a bit awkward now that he had asked me on a date, and then I had revoked the actual 'date' that we did have planned. He smooths his hands over his thighs before he stands - pushing my stool back over towards its original position.

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, tomorrow," I tell him, and I stare at his retreating back as he walks back over to his own station.