Chapter 01

As Penelope sat up slowly, gazing out of her window upon waking up, she realized that she had returned to her 12-year-old body.

‘Now what shall I do?’ Penelope thought.

She looked away from the window when she heard someone knocking on her door.

“Come in.” Penelope said.

Penelope watched as the doors to her room opened and a maid whom she recognized as Layla entered.

“Young Lady, I have come to prepare your bath.” Layla said, bowing her head.

Penelope nods, getting out of her bed to get ready for the day.

‘I should find out when my father will visit the Imperial Palace.’ Penelope thought as she got into her bathtub.

“You look troubled, Young Lady. Is there something that you need?” Layla asked softly.

Penelope pursed her lips before directing her sharp eyes at her, “It is nothing.”

“The Count and the Countess.. Are they home?” Penelope asked.

“The Count is away, but the Countess is in her study, Milady.” Layla replied, finishing her task of washing Penelope’s back.

“Mhm.” Penelope hummed.

———

“Mother.” Penelope called out as she entered her Mother’s study.

The Countess looked up from the papers that she was working on and smiled at her daughter.

“Penelope. Is there something that you need?” Her Mother asked.

“Will you and Father be visiting the Imperial Palace  soon?” Penelope asked.

The Countess thought for a bit before shaking her head.

“I am afraid not, my Dear.” The Countess replied.

“Why are you asking?” She asked, looking at her daughter with curious eyes.

“I would like to make friends with the Prince.” Penelope replied.

‘Though my true purpose is to find the slumbering magician. But what I said is not a lie as well.’

“Make friends? With Prince Anastacius?” Her Mother asked her.

Penelope resisted the urge of rolling her eyes at the mention of his name.

‘He’s still going to be the father of your child.’ Her mind unhelpfully supplied.

“No. The other one.” Penelope said, walking towards her Mother.

She looked at the papers she was working on and saw that it was the trade agreement proposed by one of the foreign tribes.

“You should approve of their proposal, Mother.” Penelope said.

The Countess stared at her daughter with confused eyes.

“Why would you want to be friends with Prince Claude? And what made you say that?”

Penelope sighed, “Prince Claude is of my age. It might be beneficial for the both of us if we became friends.”

‘It will be beneficial for me the most. My friendship with him might be able to help me in the future.’

“Penelope. Do you like the Prince?” Her Mother asked seriously that made Penelope choke on thin air.

“Mother!” Penelope exclaimed, her face flushing.

‘He might be handsome but he single-handedly slaughtered the people in Ruby Palace in my previous life.’

“I am just asking, my Dear.” Her Mother said, chuckling softly.

“Whatever, Mother.” Penelope said, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes.

The Countess chuckled, seeing her younger self in her daughter.

“Why don’t you go and see if Rosalia is done with her lessons?”

Penelope looked at her through her lashes, she then nodded and walked away.

“I’ll see you later, your Grace.”

‘I won't deny, I missed my bitchy sister.’

———

Penelope walked through the hallways of their manor silently. Her mind is filled with the images that the faceless individual has shown her.

One vivid image that she clearly remembers is Jennette yearning for that familial love. Penelope sighed.

“What are you sighing at?” Her 9-year-old sister asked, raising a delicate brow.

Penelope turned around and stared at Rosalia pointedly.

“Since when did the second Young Lady of the Judith Household turned nosy?” Penelope shot back.

Rosalia shot her an annoyed look.

“I asked you first!”

“You really want to know?” Penelope asked.

“I was sighing because I knew I was going to hear your grating voice again.” Penelope added, smirking.

“Ugh! I hate you!” Rosalia huffed.

“The feeling is mutual, Sister.” Penelope said.

“Young Ladies.” A voice called, and they both turned around to look at the person who disturbed them.

“Layla.” Penelope acknowledged.

“Pardon my interruption, Milady, but the Count has returned.” Layla said.

‘The good for nothing patriarch.’

“I see. Thank you, Layla.” Penelope said, nodding her head.

———