Chapter two - Into the demon land

Wang Lian was stuck in between being amazed or creeped out as he looked into the mirror.
He had combed his hair and changed into a black set of robes, red and fancy details here and there.
The two colors were not a uniform of the demon clan but, when he saw the red on them, he instantly thought of the cultivation that was given to him and of the robes that the queen was wearing, making him choose that certain set.
He now looked as elegant as ever, the perfection of everything making it feel as if he really had long left the mortal realm.
To feel even better, he made sure to clean himself in order to look anew, if only to help him bear whatever was going to come his way.

Wang Lian smiled for himself as he lighted a scented stick.

The room that he was staying in was big and simple, but he loved it nonetheless. He had everything he could have wanted in it; a bed, a wardrobe and a desk.
What else was there to ask for?
Wang Lian lay on his bed, looking up the ceiling.
It was weird, indeed. How come he got everything so easily? He knew that he was going to pay a big price, but the price still felt too cheap. He still had to learn how to use his powers and train as much as possible, but he wasn't so worried.
He trusted that everything was only to get better compared to his mortal life, even though becoming an immortal in the blink of an eye shouldn't have been possible.
He was a man of dreams, however. He was tired of always watching others and, if a pact with a demon was the thing needed for a change of fate, he was certanly going to take the leap even though it meant leaving his grandmother alone for a while.

A knock on the door resounded and Wang Lian got off the bed with a heavy heart.

"Yes?" He answered the door as the older demon, Jin Zihao, entered the dim lighted room.

"Her majesty wants to test your powers and see what you can do. We'll have to send you to the heavens as soon as possible," he came closer, inspecting him.

Wang Lian nodded, as if the hardships that were to come were nothing but the basic facts everyone knew.

"I'm aware, I won't dissapoint," he said, not really sure of how he should act around the two demons or any other ones, at that.

"You know we can be sort casual among us. You're one of the demons, chosen by the queen herself," he showed Wang Lian to the door and closed it as they stepped outside.
The younger demon, Qing Li, greeted them. He seemed to be more stern than Jin Zihao, but it wasn't going to be a problem.
Wang Lian wasn't there to make friends, even though he wanted to get along with the others.

"Of course," he said, taking a pause, "But what will I go to the heaven for?"

The demon watched him as he started to walk, showing him the way to the training ground.
As he went on, Wang Lian still felt the lingering scent of the incense he had used.

"The queen will tell you everything when the time comes," he answered.

It was already intriguing. They might have sacrificed him for all he knew.
Wang Lian laughed to himself.
The road they were walking on was big, the air hitting his face as he looked into the eyes of a stranger as she passed by.
Another demon, perhaps, Wang Lian thought to himself, still quite excited to see what was going to happen.

With a swift move, Jin Zihao moved his hand and tried attacking him with his sword as Wang Lian moved. It was pure instinct, but he jumped backwards.
He bearly even saw the shadow of his sword before reacting.
The man laughed.

"That's a good start," he said, an impressed smile on his face, "we'll show you how to fight like a real demon.".

He attacked again, Qing Li, the younger demon, joining in.
Wang Lian jumped backwards for the second time and avoided another blow. It aimed straight for his face, ready to pierce.
Their swords were sharper than anything he'd seen before.