31. dances in the kitchen

As the night began to wind down, the group of boys bid their farewells, leaving behind remnants of the celebration and memories that would linger long after they had departed. Shubman lingered behind, exchanging heartfelt goodbyes with his friends before turning his attention back to Nandhini.

Shreyas, ever the observant brother, caught Shubman's eye and gave him a knowing look, nodding towards Nandhini with a subtle gesture. "You should stay with her tonight," he whispered, his voice barely audible above the fading chatter of their friends. "She'd appreciate the company."

Shubman nodded in agreement, his heart filled with a newfound determination to make up for forgetting Nandhini's birthday. With a reassuring smile to Shreyas, he watched as the last of their friends disappeared into the night before turning his attention back to Nandhini.

Meanwhile, Nandhini found herself in the kitchen, absently sorting through the dishes and remnants of the celebration. Her mind buzzed with the lingering echoes of laughter and conversation, her heart warmed by the love and affection of her friends and family.

Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice Shubman's approach until he was right behind her, his arms wrapping around her waist in a warm embrace. Startled, she gasped softly before relaxing into his embrace, the tension melting away from her shoulders as she leaned back against his chest.

"Hey," Shubman murmured, his voice soft and gentle as he nuzzled against her neck. "I'm sorry about today, Nandhini. I didn't mean to forget your birthday."

Nandhini turned in his embrace, her eyes meeting his with a mixture of love and understanding. 

"It's okay, Shubman," she reassured him, her voice filled with warmth. "I know you didn't mean to. And besides, you're here now, and that's all that matters."

Shubman's heart swelled with gratitude at her words, his arms tightening around her in a comforting embrace. "I love you, Nandhini," he whispered, his voice filled with sincerity.

"I love you too, Shubman," Nandhini replied, her lips curving into a gentle smile as she leaned in to press a soft kiss to his cheek. In that moment, surrounded by the warmth and comfort of each other's embrace, the world seemed to fade away, leaving only the two of them and the promise of a future filled with love and happiness.

As they stood in the quiet of the kitchen, the remnants of the celebration surrounding them, Shubman couldn't help but feel a sense of contentment wash over him. He knew he had let Nandhini down by forgetting her birthday, but seeing the forgiveness and love in her eyes filled him with a renewed sense of determination to make it up to her.

Nandhini, too, felt a wave of warmth flood her heart as she looked into Shubman's eyes. Despite the initial disappointment of her birthday being forgotten, she couldn't deny the overwhelming love and affection he showered upon her now. It was moments like these that reminded her of why she fell in love with him in the first place.

Breaking the comfortable silence, Shubman gently brushed a stray strand of hair away from Nandhini's face, his touch tender and reassuring. "I have something for you," he said softly, reaching into his pocket to retrieve a small velvet box.

Nandhini's eyes widened in surprise as Shubman opened the box, revealing a delicate silver necklace adorned with a sparkling pendant. Her breath caught in her throat as she reached out to touch it, the cool metal warming beneath her fingertips.