Chapter 1: Ring of Fire

Start from the beginning

Soketto was a skilled fortune-teller, there was no denying that. Her skill in it came only second to her own beauty, which she was widely regarded to be the most beautiful among the Crimson Demons.

Least to say, Yunyun right now with her burning question, was in very good hands on it potentially being answered.

Ready to hear her request though, Soketto nodded to Yunyun.

"Alright, what is that you'd like to know? What aspect of your future shall I shed light on?"

Being asked this broad and foreboding question, Yunyun swallowed hard as she did her best to keep her composure.

I-I didn't think I could get this far by just asking! H-How should I phrase it...?

Thinking hard as to what exactly she should ask, Yunyun took an extra second to get her wording exactly right.

"I... I'd like to know... Who—"

While Yunyun already knew what she wished to ask, she still needed to rationalize to herself what it meant.

Even though I consider Megumin a friend... I can tell she might not even see me as a competent rival yet... And maybe that will never change... So I have to ask this. I want nothing else in this world...

Inside Yunyun, she desired only one thing at the end of the day—

"—W-Who will be my first, true friend?"

Forcing herself to blurt out the words as crudely as possible, it was the only way for Yunyun to ask this of Soketto.

"A-Ahh... I see... I uhhh, I should be able to answer that. That is within my power to foresee. Hopefully."

In truth, Soketto could only manifest from within her the tinge of second-hand embarrassment for Yunyun's sake. While one could say her question was childish at best, it even bordered on desperate sounding, something even Bukkororii had managed to avoid appearing as when he asked for his fortune to be told.

Still though, using her Divination, Soketto consulted her crystal ball with Yunyun's earnest request.

While it might make my skills look like a farce, I'm not enthusiastic that this reading will be any different than it was for Bukkororii... Soketto kept her worry hidden in her thoughts though, hoping Yunyun wouldn't be too distraught over a lackluster, or even non-existent answer from the crystal ball.

But to each of their surprise—

"H-Hey! There's something coming into the picture!"

Too distracted from her own worried thoughts on how to best quell this outcast girl's sorrow when the bad news from her fortune came, Soketto hadn't noticed her crystal ball doing anything until Yunyun had exclaimed as such.

From within it's glossy exterior, a smoke formed, and slowly dissipating—

"—A person. There's a figment of an image emerging. I will try and make it clearer..."

Not having expected anything, or for that matter anyone to show up in her crystal ball, Soketto too now was almost as intrigued as Yunyun was.

Getting the picture to clear up as best as she could, amidst the smoke that cleared from view, appeared to be a splotch of the blue sky up above, as if the perspective of the crystal ball was facing directly upwards.

"— — —"

Waiting with baited breath, Yunyun watched as the scene cleared up more.

"That's odd... I did not intend to foretell the weather..."