Chapter 1: Ring of Fire

A/N: I will do my best to keep this part brief.

Hello all! For Yunyun's birthday, February 29th (which only comes once every four years!), I have decided to release the first 5 chapters of a fic I have been writing for close to a year now.

This is a Reader (YN - "Your Name")X Yunyun fic I've been writing for about a year now. As of posting, I have around ~120k words of this fic written out, totaling around 20ish chapters.

While this story is mostly lore friendly to Konosuba, I have only taken small liberties with it for the sake of the Reader's involvement in the story. The Reader does NOT insert over Kazuma or anyone else in the series, but rather, is their own additional character.

For context, this story actually begins before the first season of the anime canonically, during the prequel series 'Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo' or 'KonoSuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World!' (sometimes commonly called "the Megumin spin-off/prequel" or simply "the 'explosion' Konosuba anime").

While my main forte is Re:Zero as a fic writer (RemxReader), I wholeheartedly enjoy Konosuba as a close second for my favorite series and really wanted to write for this series as well.

Thank you and please enjoy!

(Fic header art is drawn by @AbhorTheRent, chapter 1 art by @perfArt_ )

△▼△▼△▼△

Inside the fortune telling shop at the outskirts of the Crimson Demon Village, Yunyun sat still in her chair, hesitant on whether she should ask a question that had begun to burn inside her.

Bukkororii, the Crimson Demon's foremost NEET had just run out of the shop, heart-crushed by a fortune foretold to him that was somehow worse than what he had expected to hear. While Megumin had run after him, due to him still owing a meal to her and her younger sister, this left Yunyun alone with the fortune-teller, Soketto.

Yunyun had only ended up here by getting roped into the fiasco involving her rival and the NEET, whose goal was simply to get more information about the fortune-teller herself. Bukkororii had asked Soketto to read his fortune in the process, and had specifically requested to know who his future partner in romance would be. With nothing appearing in the crystal ball Soketto had waved her hands around, using her magic of Divination, this had been the catalyst for Bukkororii running out.

Yet, as the onset of an idea forged from this escapade was fostered in Yunyun's mind, before she too got up to leave, intent on chasing after her rival, she remained seated.

"Umm... Soketto-san..."

While the fortune-teller was wrapping up the brief session she had hosted for the NEET, she turned back to see the timid twin-tailed girl was still in her shop.

"Hmm? Is there something wrong?"

Tilting her head as she said this, Soketto hadn't even realized the girl was still here. Being acknowledged now though, Yunyun began to nervously fidget with her hands as she broke eye contact, casting her crimson eyes downward as she worked her hardest to steel her nerves.

"Well... I... I w-was wondering if it would be possible for you to read my fortune too..."

Soketto could only warmly smile at the innocent girl's request. After all, how could she say no? She had asked so politely.

"That shouldn't be a problem. Here, let me get set back up."

Putting her crystal ball back between them on the table, the fortune-teller took her seat again as she once more waved her hands around the orb that revealed future premonitions.