Chapter 2 • My Inevitable Capture

"Hey, Kathy." I greeted with a casual smile.

     Kathy was a middle aged woman who took me in a few months ago. Since I was kidnapped and I escaped, I was homeless. But she had taken me in, she felt bad for me. She gave me a job and a place to stay.

     "Good morning, honey." The redhead greeted back. "Oh, you'll never guess who checked into the hotel this morning!"

     "Who, Elon Musk?" I rolled my eyes, grinning before eyeing her again.

     "Eh, close enough." She shrugged.

     That could only mean one thing. 

     "Tony Stark?" I asked, a little loudly.

     "Shh! You'll wake him." Kathy shushed me.

     I felt dumbstruck. Did I just get into some kind of motorcycle accident and pass away?

     "He requested you by name, I could hardly believe it—go to room 708."

     "Hey, why shouldn't he request me? And how would he hear me from the bottom floor?"

     "Go." She hissed and bared her teeth, and I decided it was probably a good idea to look past her attack on my customer service skills and not to mess with a constantly angry pregnant lady.

     "Yes, ma'am." I scurried to the shabby elevator, quickly entering and exiting soon after on the seventh floor.

     I awkwardly stared at the door for a considerable amount of time. Was Tony Stark really behind this door? No way.

     I knocked on the door. 

     "Come in."

     His voice was the same as it was on TV. Gruff with a tone of confidence and entitlement. Seeing it on TV made you wonder if he talked like that to everybody. 

     I entered the room.

     Right as I opened the door and leaned into the doorframe, I saw the glimpse of a face being covered by a mask, locks of brown hair being shoved into it and dimples being concealed. Taking a little more time to take in my surroundings, I recognized him as Spider-Man.

     Spider-Man was something of a New Yorker superhero who just sort of popped up out of nowhere. He could walk and crawl on walls, make webs, that sort of thing. Creepy. In a cool way. 

     "I'm gonna pretend I didn't see that." I announced, hoping to avoid any and all awkwardness possible. I looked next to Spider-Man, seeing the famous celebrity himself, Tony Stark. 

     "Can I help you with something?" I asked. 

     "Actually, you can." 

     Stark beckoned me forward and I obliged. He handed me a tablet. 

     "Do you recognize anything in this photo?" He looked at me in the kind of way that compels you to tell the truth and I reluctantly glanced down at the tablet. 

     Crap. 

     There I was. Blonde girl, early teens, unmistakably sharp glare? And in a creepy looking lab no less? This was from my time while I was kidnapped, two years earlier. 

     "I don't know." I lied blatantly, handing him back his tablet. "It kinda looks like a hospital, or a lab." 

     "Oh, really?" I could hear the snark in his voice. This time, he held up the tablet and swiped to the next photo. It displayed a girl that looked just like me, wearing a decorative gas mask. It was a superhero. The superhero Nightmare. And also me. That's why she looked like me, because she's me. 

     "Then, who is this? Your identical twin?" Stark's eyebrows creased when I expected them to raise in inquiry, instead annoyed. 

     "I have never seen that girl in my life, that looks like a weird teenager with an oxygen allergy." I testified. 

     I heard snickering in the corner from Spider-Man (or I guess Spider-Boy now, what I had seen of his face indicated he was around my age), who had previously been hovering in the corner and awkwardly fidgeting with his hands. I grinned at his reaction. 

     "Peter. Seriously?" Stark's annoyed expression only intensified. 

     Peter.

     I wasn't expecting that kind of name. I was expecting something ten times cooler, but it doesn't matter. 

     "Mr. Stark!" Peter exclaimed. I could practically feel him squirming underneath his suit, blushing born of pure embarrassment. My grin only widened. 

     "It's fine, she already saw your face anyway, you're not helping me with interrogation!" Stark replied with hurried anger. 

     Peter quickly shut up and Stark continued to stare at me. 

     "Look, kid." He said. "There's no point in lying about it."

     I couldn't find a response. 

     "What do you want from me?" I started fidgeting with my fingers. 

     "Run some tests," Stark shrugged, "find out how you didn't die. If you give us enough information, we could shut down their whole freak show." 

     "There's no chance you could do that." I retorted. "There's multiple locations, all highly guarded."

     I can only passing out after a hard conk on my head.

(A/N)

HEYYYY SORRY FOR THE SHORTER SECOND CHAPTER IM NOT SURE WHAT THE AVERAGE CHAPTER LENGTH IS GOING TO BE??? BUT IM CURRENTLY STARTING A BONUS CHAPTER OF THIS CHAPTER IN PETER'S POV