Chapter 4: Old Friend

Start from the beginning

I think the robot they're trying to take down is Kay/0. I cannot let them take down Kay/0.

"Commander, are the radiants down there finding it difficult or impossible to use their abilities?" I need information.

"How'd you know?" Brim looks serious, "Is this robot from your world, do you know about them? He showed up in the same area as you, so it's possible he came through the same teleporter."

...

Can I put my trust in Sage? That... radiant?

...

I have to, I need to. If I'm going to be a useful member of this protocol, I need to get over this hurdle.

"I will go down and talk to him, I'm sure I know that robot." I say.

"And what if he doesn't remember you? And ya' get shot?" Skye asks me.

...

"I'll have Sage revive me."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It really is Kay/0, he's a bit dirtier, but he's still recognizable.

His body hasn't changed a bit, and his dog tags are still flapping in the wind as he shoots.

"Kay/0! I'm going to walk out of this corner with my hands raised and no guns on me. You can shoot me if you want, I know you aren't going to believe me." I say loudly and walk out.

He stops shooting and looks at me, beckoning me to talk more.

"Kay/0, this is another world we're in. When I went back to the facility, I went through the portal just to see if I could be given a second chance, and I have. You have been given one too, you're just shooting the people who have the ability to give you it."

"The people who would give me a second choice are the radiant fuckers? You're not the real Chain if you're working with them." Kay/0 bites back, as expected.

"They're different. They come from this world, and are actual people now. I know it's a lot to take in, but just calm your head and think it through. That's what I did." I try to deal with him, "How can I convince you to think this through and let them talk, they can explain much better than I can."

...

He moves his gun down a centimeter, "Prove to me you're Chain. Then I'll listen."

Easy enough.

"We came up with the phrase Never Break the Chain while at a campfire one night, I was playing the same song on repeat on my guitar, and you still hummed along."

His gun drops an inch now.

"Tell me something that you've only told me and no one else." Kay/0, really?

"Can I whisper it to you, I don't want everyone to hear." I don't want to mention her to everyone.

"Come any closer and I'll shoot you."

...

Fine

"Han Sun-woo." I say.

He almost drops his gun, "What does that person mean to you?"

You're really making me spill everything Kay/0? He's getting a slap for this.

"She is the only radiant I will ever care for. That's what I told you right? That one night where we both got really into our feelings and psyche?" I say, "Is that good enough for you?"

He drops his gun and starts walking forward.

He hugs me once he reaches me, I hug back.

...I didn't think I'd see him again.