"I completed a large task."

"Yes but..." Cicero paused to collect his thoughts, "Mutina was a fine victory, it's true but it was a victory over other romans. And, as you stated yourself, Hirtius and Pansa-"

"Hirtius and Pansa are dead," Agrippa cut in.

"May the gods give them rest," Cicero said, looking Agrippa up and down slightly, "they are dead. However, it is well known that proper command of the battle was in their hands."

"The purpose of a battle is to remain alive," Gaius said, "they did not. I did."

"Indeed," Cicero conceded, "even so the victory is not quite complete. Marcus Antonius still lives, he still has men, we have had to send Marcus Lepidus and two legions north."

"Lepidus?" Gaius asked, of course Caesar's old master of horse would be getting involved now, "sending your very best then."

"I have every confidence that Lepidus will succeed."

'In taking down the man he worked with for years? I doubt it', Gaius didn't say it out loud, instead stating simply, "then he may have a triumph too if he wants one."

"The people would not look kindly on a triumph, not with your army at the walls of the city, a little unsavoury perhaps."

"Now there he has a point," Lucretia's voice came from the entrance to the tent as she walked back in, "hello Cicero."

"Lucretia! What a happy surprise," Cicero stood to greet the pale-haired woman. Lucretia and his exchanged greetings before he sat back down and Lucretia walked over to stand by Agrippa. Her and Gaius exchanged glances.

"I bend to your wise counsel," Gaius said, turning back to Cicero, "no triumph."

Cicero smiled, "we shall still find some fitting way to celebrate your glory. Perhaps a temple to Caesar Victoria, that sounds rather fine doesn't it."

Hmm, barely, "If I cannot have a triumph, I was rather thinking of taking the Consul's chair."

Cicero's brows furrowed, "you wish to be Consul?" He asked, confused.

"It's a vanity I know. But I think I deserve it, and it would please my men."

Cicero scoffed softly, "you are nineteen. You're too young to be Senator, leave alone Consul, my dear boy," he glanced at Agrippa and Lucretia. "You've been listening to bad advice. You have no experience, you have no connections."

"He has an army," Agrippa said in a monotone.

Cicero looked like he was seeing Gaius for the first time when he looked at him again. Gaius could see the thoughts racing behind his eyes. Then he let out a single chuckle, "well, I'll speak with the other Senators. We'll see if it's possible."

Gaius lent forward. "Though if you were to be Consul," Cicero continued, "you must promise to be guided by my council, it is an office of high complexity."

"And I am well aware of my inexperience," Gaius said, "I will not utter a word without your advice, your consent."

Cicero stood, "well, perhaps something can be done." He nodded once to Gaius, Agrippa and Lucretia then left.

"Old fool," Agrippa said with a laugh after a moment. Gaius spun to look at him and Lucretia, who was also smiling softly.

"We won," Lucretia whispered. "We. Won."

LVCRETIA IVLIA CAESARIS

LVCRETIA IVLIA CAESARIS. 11th Day Before the Kalends of Sextilis (22nd July)

Three days after the meeting with Cicero, the Senate confirmed that Gaius would be made Consul until the first days of the new year when the two new consuls would be sworn in for the next year. To celebrate, Lucretia and Gaius had fallen into bed together again.

"Fuck Gaius," Lucretia murmured as they lay in her bed.

"We just did," Gaius joked, making Lucretia roll her eyes.

"You're going to be Consul," she said.

"I am."

"What's the first thing you'll do?"

"What do you think?" Gaius looked down at Lucretia.

"They'll burn?" she asked.

"They'll burn," he confirmed. Lucretia laughed in joy for a moment before pulling him in for another kiss and flipping herself onto him.

 Lucretia laughed in joy for a moment before pulling him in for another kiss and flipping herself onto him

14th Day Before the Kalends of September (19th August)

Lucretia placed her head against the wooden barrier between the chamber where the Senate was meeting and the back room. Her eyes darted between the other entrance and the statue of Pompey in the centre of the room. Agrippa was standing beside her, his hand on his hip where she knew he wished his gladius was. "He'll be okay," she said, "they know not to hurt him."

"That's what Caesar thought," Agrippa muttered. Lucretia pursed her lips and he whispered an apology. She went to answer but the door behind the Consul chair's opened and Gaius walked out, wearing the purple lined robes of the Consul. He looked perfect.

"Esteemed Senators. I take this first moment before you not to glorify myself, but to honour my father." Gaius began reciting the speech that the two of them had spent days planning. "In his honour I declare that my term as Consul shall usher in a new era. An era of moral virtue, of dignity. The debauchery and chaos we have had to endure will now end. Rome shall be again as she once was. A proud Republic of virtuous women and honest men."

The Senators broke into applause. "I speak to you now, not as a soldier or citizen, but as a grieving son. As my first act in this reborn Republic and in honour of my father, I propose a motion. TO declare Brutus and Cassius murderers and enemies of the state." The Senators began to mutter amongst themselves. Cicero stood and walked over to Gaius, he began to whisper something to him, trying to convince him to change his mind no doubt. The old fool. Gaius spat something at him and Cicero slowly walked away.

"My father died on this floor. Right there," he pointed to the spot before the large statue that dominated the room. "Stabbed twenty-seven times. Butchered, by men he called his friends. Who will tell me that is not murder? Who will tell my legions, who love Caesar as I do, that that was not murder?" Agrippa took his que, waving some of the men that were standing behind them forward and entering the room. The Senators' eyes darted between them and Gaius. "Who will speak against the motion?"

Silence.

They. Had. Won.