Zee

I came back home to Max, who was just lying down.

"How do you feel, Max? I bought dinner for us."

"I'm in a lot of pain, Zee. It's frustrating me so much. I wish I could just take more painkillers or something."

"Max. No. You know why. So, no."

I glared at Max, who was trying to shoot me a pitiful look. Many didn't know of this, but Max had grown addicted to painkillers some time ago due to a previous incident and had nearly overdosed on them. So ever since then, whenever he was ill or had to have painkillers as part of his medicine coconction, he always stayed with me so I could monitor his intake. I took out the food and made sure Max had his meals whilst I finally took out my phone. I had been so busy and with the exception of my manager whom I spoke to, I didn't have time to reply to any other messages.

I looked through the messages and realized that Net had messaged me a couple of times, but I had overlooked it. Shit. I clicked on his name and called him.

"Hey.."

"Net.. sorry, I've been so busy. Max fell ill, got hurt, and I have been looking after him."

"Oh, right. How's he?"

"Slightly better now. I'm sorry I didn't reply to your messages. I only spoke to my manager on the phone and that's it. Haven't had time otherwise."

Net was silent on the other end.

"Is everything ok?"

"I.. I'm not sure, Zee. It's just that you disappeared into thin air, looking after Max."

"Of course. He's my closest friend Net. We go way back. Of course, I will look after him. He has no one but me."

Net was silent.

"You are right. I'm sorry for sounding so silly. I.. I was just worried about you."

"Worried about me?"

"It's just.. you didn't respond to any of my texts. And you had left abruptly on Sat too. I came by earlier too, to look for you."

"You came by? Max didn't tell me anything."

"Why would he? He and I already have bad blood. I'm sure he doesn't want us to be hanging out together."

"Look, I think you are over reading into this. Max was in pain when I came home. He could have forgotten it."

"And you would naturally stick up for your friend over me."

"Do you hear yourself Net? He's my friend of over 10 years. I only started getting to know you recently. Its not about sticking up for him or anything. I'm just saying it as it is. Can't you be abit more understanding?"

Net was deadily silent on the phone.

"Sorry for not being understanding but look, I just think Max could be faking his pain. I came by earlier and he looked completely fine. Could he just be pulling your leg? Making it look like he's in more pain than he actually is?"

This annoyed me so much. I knew Net had no idea of Max's past addictions, the frustrations he must be going through but just because he presented his pain differently didn't mean he was in pain. I had hoped Net would give him the benefit of the doubt but looked like both boys didn't have that patience for each other.

I sighed.

"He is in alot of pain. Just because he presents it differently doesn't lessen it. You don't know him. I wish you would get to know him before making assumptions. Just. Cut him some slack and me too. I have enough to deal with it as it is."

"Zee.."

"You aren't my boyfriend or anything Net. Stop behaving like one. Maybe it's good we aren't one because if you can't accept Max in your life, it's very hard for us together. He's as important to me as anyone no matter what he may have done."

Net didn't say anything and just hung up thereafter. I sighed as I ended the call too, looking over at Max who was still struggling to eat. I went over, focusing my efforts on him instead but I couldn't help but admit that my thoughts kept flitting to Net and our difficult conversation earlier.