Can Forever be True?

Calum's current boyfriend is an angel. He's not just saying that because his last one was terrible. Ashton is a real angel with wings and everything to boot.

Calum rolls over on his side and watches Ashton put his clothes back on. He doesn't beg him to stay, in fact he doesn't say anything. He can't give an ultimatum and expect to win when his opponent is God.

Ashton's halo sits on the nightstand, shining in the moonlight.

Calum sits up, swinging his legs over the edge of the bed. He picks the halo up, mindful of the sharp edges. The first time he touched it, he got blood in Ashton's auburn curls. He remembers how Ashton cradled his injured fingers, how Calum's bloody thumbprint marred the pristine shine of the halo.

The halo is heavy in his hands. He can only imagine how heavy it feels on Ashton's head, how the weight of it must drag him down. He wonders if it's the only thing dragging him down.

Ashton kneels in front of him, staring at him with hazel eyes. They're filled with unspoken apologies. Calum wishes they weren't.

Calum doesn't bother to try to tame the wild curls before setting the halo down on top of them. He cups Ashton's face in his hands, feeling the way his jawbone digs into his palms. He kisses Ashton's forehead.

Ashton smells like ozone and iron and ice and stardust. His skin is warm to the point that Calum worries his lips might blister. That doesn't stop him from kissing Ashton though.

Ashton stands, pressing his lips to Calum's soft cheek. It feels like a brand.

Then he's gone.

It feels sacrilegious but Calum can't help but compare himself to Hades letting Persephone walk out of Underworld for six months.

The longest he's gone without Ashton is five months.

If Calum is Hades, then Michael is Cerberus, fierce, protective, and has growled at someone on more than one occasion.

"Dude, what did you do to your fingers?" Michael asks. The two of them try to eat lunch together when they can.

Calum sliced his fingers open again. He wasn't careful enough. Ashton woke him at three in the morning and Calum was just sleepy enough to forget how sharp the halo was. Ashton kissed his wounds, and the sight was enough to soothe the sting. Ashton had left with Calum's blood on his lips.

Calum can't tell him about Ashton. Michael is an atheist and Calum would feel like a bad friend if he shattered his entire worldview.

"I sliced them open on my guitar." Calum lies.

He doesn't feel guilty lying to Michael. He hasn't felt guilt since the first time he kissed Ashton.

"Sick." Michael nods. "I saw your ex earlier, he's still bald as shit."

Calum has a shitty ex, as most people do. He hasn't thought about his ex in ages. He has no reason to, not when he has Ashton.

He hums, picking at his blue Jello, it matches Michael's hair.

"Why doesn't Luke ever eat lunch with us?" Michael asks.

This is why Calum doesn't feel bad about lying. Michael also lies to him.

"You know why."

Luke isn't exactly allowed in town, which is crazy to Calum, because no one can prove Luke started the fire. In fact, most people can't prove he was even there.

"You could always go visit him." Calum suggests.

"Last time I did I got half my face burnt off." Michael says with a scoff.