5- Premature Death

--- one year later ---

"Here we go" Shoko says as she and Suguru both throw something at Satoru, both objects stopping before they hit him.

"Yep, it's working" Satoru says as he grabs the eraser Suguru threw at him.

"Ugh, what the heck was that?" Shoko asks as she looks at Satoru.

"Automatic selection of targets for your jujutsu technique?" Suguru asks as he tilts his head.

"Yup!" Satoru says happily, "thought, to be precise, I'm the target for the technique. I've automated what I used to do manually. Now it can discern an object's danger level based on the strength of its cursed energy, its mass, its velocity, and its shape. I'd like to get to discern poisons, too, but that's still proving difficult. This will allow me to keep my Limitless technique active almost perpetually with minimal resources".

"Having it perpetually active will fry your brain" Shoko says as she stands up from her crouched position.

"But I can also keep the reverse cursed technique active with the energy I generate on my own" Satoru says as he rubs the back of his head, "so I'm constantly giving it a fresh brain to work with. I've already been working on shortening my hand seals. That's nailed now, too. So I can also activate multiple instances of Blue and Red simultaneously. The only remaining hurdles are Domain Expansion and teleportation over long distances. I should be able to get that down if we set up some courses without any obstacles in Jujutsu High. Shoko, could you lend me some lab rats?".

"Uh..." Shoko says as she thinks over it.

"There's one thing you've forgotten, Satoru" Kuina says as she fires an arrow from the rooftop of the school, jumping down as she runs to Satoru without him noticing, punching him in the stomach, sending him flying back into the building as he crashes against the wall, "your little sister is the only person who can break through you Limitless, even when it's active. What's that about, huh?".

"I don't know. Your whole existence is annoying" Satoru says as he flicks her on the forehead.

Kuina grabs Satoru's wrist, twisting his arm as she kicks him in the back of the legs.

"I may be physically five but I can still bring you to the ground" Kuina says as she sits on Satoru's chest.

"Suguru, have you lost weight?" Satoru asks as he looks at Suguru, "you look skinny. You okay?".

"It's just heat fatigue" Suguru says as he looks at Satoru, "I'll be fine".

"Did you eat too much somen?" Satoru asks as he tilts his head.

Satoru had become 'the strongest'. He handled all of his missions alone, and Shoko was never sent out on dangerous missions in the first place, which naturally meant I was sent on missions alone more often, too. Things were busy that summer. Likely spurred by the frequent disasters of last year, cursed spirits were springing up like maggots. Exorcise, absorb. Over and over. Exorcise. Absorb. No one else understands what cursed spirits taste like. It's like swallowing a dirty rag that's been used to clean up vomit and shit. Who am I doing this for? Exorcise. Absorb. Ever since that day, I've been telling myself, 'what I witnessed isn't uncommon. I understood the ugliness of the masses, and still chose to be a jujutsu sorcerer to save others. Don't waver. Fulfil your duty as a jujutsu sorcerer'. Damn monkeys.

--- the next day ---

"Geto-san!" Haibara says happily as he spots Suguru sitting on his own.

"Haibara..." Suguru says as he looks up.

"Good work out there!" Haibara says as he bows to Suguru.

"Yes, good work out there!" Kuina says as she copies Haibara.