Chapter Three

"So, where exactly are you taking me?"

"Patience young one," he chuckles, continuing down the side walk. "you will know soon enough."

"Do you even know?" I ask,cocking my eyebrow. He doesn't reply, instead he just winks and grabs my hand, pulling me into the back door of the restaurant where we first met.

"I don't think we're supposed to be back here." I whisper,following Carter through the kitchen.

"Don't worry," he shrugs, my manager is out for the night anyway."

"Summers!"

"Hey man," he smiles to the blonde haired boy that had just emerged from the walk-in freezer, carrying a big tub of ice-cream.

"Who's this?" the boy smirks, gesturing towards me.

"Owen, meet," he pauses, and I suddenly realize I hadn't told Carter my name yet.

"Sydney, Sydney Andrews." I smile, reaching out to shake his hand.

"Nice to meet you Sydney, i'm Owen Mitchell, other wise known as Carter's bff."

"Owen, we're grown men. We don't say 'bff'," he huffs, rolling his eyes, "anyway, did you make it?"

"Yeah, it's right here." He answers, handing Carter a plastic bag.

He takes the bag from him and places it in his arms, holding it like a baby, thanking him for whatever it is.

Then, we're reminded to have fun by Owen, but not too much, of course.

"Where to now?" I sigh, pushing the back door open.

"Just follow me." He says, nodding his head to the left.

I don't protest, I just follow him along the sidewalk, neither of us speaking. As I walk beside him, I can't help but notice the way the moon lights up his features, making his brown eyes shine brighter than I would've expected. His eye brows are knitted together, and I know he's concentrating on something, whatever it may be. He has some stubble around his face, and it gives him this edgy look that is almost irresistible.

"We have reached our destination." He smiles almost mischievously, stopping in front of one of the many golf courses at the resort.

"What are we doing here?"

"We are picnicking, obviously."

"On a golf course?"

"Well why not?" He chuckles, setting the bag down, then sitting down beside it.

I shrug my shoulders and decide to go with it, because it's honestly been quite awhile since I actually enjoyed myself or have had any fun.

"So what's for dinner?"

"It looks like we have spaghetti, mac n cheese, french fries, and chocolate cake." He smiles, pulling the containers out of the bag.

"Well, this is romantic."

"So, Sydney, huh?"

"Yes, Carter?"

"Sydney is a beautiful name."

"Thank you." I blush, smiling at him.

"Beyonce is nicer though."

"Oh shut up!" He just laughs, picking up the fry I threw at him. "Hey, Carter?"

"Yeah?" He asks, turning his head to face me.

"How did you find out where I was staying?"

He smirks, "I have a source at the building your in."

"Or you were stalking me."

"Psh, stalking you? Please."

"Yeah, I think you are! That'd explain how you knew I was at the pool today."

"I did not know you were at the pool, it was a pure coincidence."

"I'm sure it was." I smile, shoving his shoulder.

"So, why are you here?"

"Because you forced me against my will."

"I don't mean on the date," he says, rolling his eyes, "I mean at Hillside."

"The past two years or so have been hard for my family, so my dad thought a vacation would help." I sigh, laying on my back, looking up at the dark sky above me, "What takes you here?"

"Well, my best friends and I got this great idea to rent a house out after graduation and live together for the summer." He chuckles, turning his head to look at me. "But, we shortly ran out of money and we all needed jobs, so my friend, Brett, his dad comes here all the time, and he pulled some strings to get us all jobs."

"I got to see first hand how that's working out for you, and it's not so good."

"You were my first table!" He defends, "I was nervous!"

"I could tell." I laugh, smiling at him.

"I have to say, I did get better."

"I'd hope so, I don't think all your customers would be okay with orange juice all down their dress."

"Yeah, sorry about that." He blushes, standing up from the ground.

"Just don't do it again." I smirk, reaching my hand out to Carter so he could help me stand. "It's getting late, I should probably head back."

"Okay, let me walk you."

I nod, and we silently begin walking back to the condo building.

The walk is silent, but I don't mind, it gave me a moment to think.

I like silence, I like the moonlit sky, I like loneliness.

But I somehow think Carter Summers is going to change all of that.

~

I can't begin to say how horrible this was.. and i'm sorry. Especially because of the long wait! But hopefully it will all get better :)