Pilot (Part 1)

"I can't believe this!" Kie threw her hands up and rolled her eyes. "This used to be a turtle habitat." She stomped out of the unfinished house, me quickly following behind her. She continued her rant as we walked out to where the boys were.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers!" She said as she walked out of the door.

"Of course they are. Why wouldn't they?" JJ responded sarcastically, taking a swig of his beer.

"This used to be a turtle habitat." She said exasperated, repeating her earlier words.

"Who cares about the turtles I guess." JJ smirked at my response to her distress about the environment. She's always preaching about the environment and how we only get one, but we love her anyways; even if that's more than half the sentences that comes out of her mouth.

"I can't have cold towels." JJ motioned for me to climb up and sit beside him on the scaffolding. I did so, grabbing the beer he handed me while sitting down.

"Can you please not kill yourself?" Kiara squinted up at John B who was balancing on the roof, slightly wobbling this way and that.

"Don't spill that beer! I'm not giving you another one." JJ shook his head while taking another sip of his own beer.

"Woah! Aw shit." John B's can fell on the wood next to Kie. I giggled at him trying to play it off like it was an accident.

"Of course you did! Like right when I told him not to." I laughed at JJ and John B, who let out a fake groan.

"A plus." Pope sarcastically spoke while leaning on the railing of the house. Kiara clapped sarcastically at the boy's antics.

"Hey!"

"Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up." Pope spoke quickly.

"Alright! Boys are early today." JJ said to me, quickly turning around and helping me down.

"Let's go boys and girl!" Kiara said.

"Gary is that you?" JJ yelled at that cop.

"Yea you're just asking for it." Kie giggled. I jumped down from the roof and started running as soon as my feet hit the ground. We all split in different directions. I could hear JJ laughing somewhere to my right.
I ran out of the house, searching for the Twinkie. I quickly saw the old Volkswagen, JJ was sticking his head out the side yelling at me to hurry up. I looked behind my to see the cop gaining on me. I took off running after the moving van, JJ hanging out the door and grabbing my arm to pull me in; Kiara shut the door behind me with a laugh.

"Check out Gary gunning for a raise." Pope chuckled at the cop. JJ turned around, grabbing a random beer can and opening the door. "Slow down, slow down!" He said to John B.

"Come on guys, you're gonna give him a heart attack." Kiara said. JJ ignored her and hung out the door waving the beer can at Gary.

"You're so close, you're so close!" He taunted. "There ya go!" He yelled throwing the can at him. "Aw, they don't pay you enough bro!"

"JJ stop! Stop!" Kiara scolded him.

"Aw, come on! That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished." JJ chuckled, leaning back next to me. I quickly ducked under his arm, getting comfortable as we drove back to the cut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes while grabbing a mug from the cabinet. I placed it under the single-cup coffee maker and pressed the button.

Nothing happened.

I pressed the button again.

Nothing.