Chapter 1: Forsyth

"Enshrouded in mystery, the light of the great and mighty Magestone shall grant the receiver of it with a multitude of blessings."

Forsyth barely bit back the scoff coming to the front of his mouth as he read over the words in the book he had been studying. The fascination he had felt studying the stars had remained with him ever since his troubled youth but he drew the line at mere fantasy. Yes, he believed there was good and there was evil, but actual beings who defined them caused him only confusion and heartache. Whereas his brother Damien allowed himself to believe in the so-called redeeming qualities of the Light and its Magestone, Forsyth preferred to behave logically and use common sense to overcome life's difficulties.

The fact Erica also was intrigued by constellations and unfortunately the Magestone as well did make his studies a bit more bearable if it meant he could impress her. With the impending threat of siege and warfare from the cruel magical Eleazar, time had been of all importance for the two brothers. As the king's top-notch astronomers, they were deemed worthy to relay any changes in the sky that might guarantee a victory for the kingdom of Aranthea.

But lately his brother had started moving away from the possibility of the stars actually granting any hope and had begun trusting in the Light for instruction instead. The thought of his brother actually spiraling down such a path made him sick. What they needed was real, tangible evidence to convince the king that they had a chance at winning this war against Eleazar.

With a great army mounting around the castle, most nerves had been on edge. The question of whether the livelihood as they knew it would disintegrate or not weighed heavily on Forsyth's mind. He had come to accomplish his workload with satisfaction and enjoyed the ins and outs of duty. But to think it could all be changed within a matter of days, his world so easily crumpled and overturned made him anxious and more determined than ever to find proof in the sky for their righteous victory.

His eyes lowered to the page in front of him, forcing himself to skim over the contents.

"The Great Magestone was once discovered beneath a silver gleam of moonlight, with freckles beneath its glowing face." Below the description was painted a sketch of what the twinkling stars looked like the night of the stone's falling. "They call this constellation Aurelia. Magicals and nonmagicals have searched for countless years for a direction in the skies to find this luminous fallen star."

"Still haven't found anything?" Damien's question drew him from his reading. "Or are you too busy dreaming about someone with auburn hair and rosy cheeks?"

Thump! The book hit the table with a thud as heat blossomed on Forsyth's cheeks. He swiveled in his chair to see his brother nonchalantly adjusting his telescope. "Keep your voice down! You know the eyes and ears this place has."

The knowing look his brother caught him with made him bristle, Damien's lips spreading with a satisfied smirk. Forsyth's shoulders sagged and lifted his hand to massage the back of his neck. "It's not like Erica even knows I'm alive."

"That's not true. I've seen you two talking before."

"Yeah, but that's about it. Everytime I'm around her I get so nervous I don't know what to do," he muttered.

"But you admit you do like her."

"Yes," he sighed in exasperation, refusing to look at his brother.

But what would it matter if he did? With a possible war looming over them, how was to know whether any of them were to make it out alive? Damien turned back to his work, but not without first letting out a little chuckle to himself. "Probably the reason you're studying so hard right now."