drinking age argumentative essay

The legal drinking age should remain at 21 years old, rather than being raised to 25, for several reasons. The potential health risks associated with heavy drinking at young ages, such as brain damage and alcohol poisoning, are well-documented and serious concerns. Additionally, raising the drinking age to 25 would be likely to increase the rate of binge drinking among young adults, leading to increased risks of alcohol abuse and addiction. Finally, raising the drinking age to 25 would potentially lead to other negative outcomes, such as increased levels of social and cultural problems.

One potential consequence of raising the drinking age to 25 that warrants consideration is increased levels of binge drinking among young adults. Research has shown that in places where the drinking age is 21, teenagers often binge drink more than in places where the drinking age is higher. Another potential negative effect of raising the drinking age is that it would likely lead to increased rates of binge drinking among young adults. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) defines binge drinking as consuming five or more drinks on an occasion for men or four or more for women, based on the definitions released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Not to mention raising the drinking age to 25 would have the potentiality to escalate social and cultural issues, such as increased levels of underage drinking, alcohol abuse, and alcohol tolerance. In fact, previous studies have shown that young adults who cannot purchase alcohol legally will often resort to other means to gain access to alcohol, such as underage drinking and binge drinking. As such, raising the drinking age is likely to have unintended negative consequences, impacting not only the young adults directly affected by the change in laws but also the wider community.

Additionally, raising the drinking age to 25 years old would potentially lead to an increase in binge drinking among young adults. Research has shown that people who begin drinking at younger ages are more likely to engage in heavy, uncontrolled drinking behavior in subsequent years. This is a concern because binge drinking can have serious consequences for health and well-being. By keeping the age at 21, we can help prevent the potential damaging effects of binge drinking.

Concluding, we can see that keeping the drinking age at 21 years old is a much better option than raising it to 25. The potential health risks, social and cultural consequences, and possible negative outcomes associated with increasing the drinking age greatly exceed any potential benefits of such a change. Therefore, it is in everyone's best interests for the legal drinking age to stay at 21.