The pieces in motion.

The start of the skirmish

Hammann was the first to fall, followed by Helena and Northampton, then Arizona and Long Island. The overwhelming air power was too much for the squadron, even only facing 2 aircraft carriers. The only one standing in their way was Hornet, who avoided every attack, though she was on the brink of collapse, the pressure being too much.

“This melody is a requiem to quell the dead.” Shoukaku said as her planes continued to attack Hornet, putting pressure on her relentlessly, not allowing her to even launch one aircraft to fight back, scoring some near misses as she boxed her in.

“Dammit! This isn't how I would like it!” She muttered as as a bomb was dropped right on her, jumping back as she looked up, noticing another wave of planes as she continued to evade, not noticing Zuikaku sneaking up behind her, which Zuikaku capitalized on, lunging at her as she raised her blade, prepared to cleave clean through Hornet.

“It’s over!” Zuikaku shouted, her blade almost connecting before she heard the buzz of aircraft, growing louder by the second as she turned around, blocking a trio of Wildcats’ fire, looking at the direction of the aircraft. Shoukaku stopped playing her requiem as she turned as she saw a golden arrow fly into the sky, knowing immediately who was the one that fired.

“Go! I'll cover you!” Enterprise shouted as she sailed past Hornet, firing her bow as more aircraft flew out, determined to protect her younger sister and the squadron. Hornet thanked her support as she retreated, heading towards the rest of the squad and the new arrivals that tagged along with Enterprise, Cleveland, Laffey and Javelin, the latter two helping the others to their feet.

“There you are, Grey Ghost! I was wondering when you would show up!” Zuikaku shouted out, smiling as she looked at her. “Finally, someone worth my time to fight! I was itching for this!” She dashed at her, their planes flying around in dogfights as each other struggled for air superiority. Zuikaku jumped up as her blade was raised, coming down at Enterprise to which she blocked with her bow, the force generated blew waves up around them.

“The strongest Eagle Union carrier, Enterprise! You will be a fine opponent to battle against!” Zuikaku pressed harder on her attack, Enterprise grunting and was visibly strained as she pushed her away. Zuikaku landed on her feet as she got into another battle stance, ready to brawl with Enterprise.

“Prepare yourself! This is a duel!” Zuikaku declared as Enterprise raised her bow at her, both staring down at each other. Hornet looked over her shoulder as she spotted Cleveland ahead of her who was waving her arms, gesturing her to come over to them as the others got to their feet, though they were in no condition to fight.

“Hornet! Over here! We’re here to help!” Cleveland called out.

“What convenient timing, I thought I was done for back then.” Hornet replied as she sailed over to them, panting as she did as she almost collapsed in Cleveland’s arms from exhaustion.

“Now’s the perfect chance to pull back, just let me bring out my ship.” Cleveland said as she looked back at her rigging, almost summoning her ship before suddenly, shells fell around them, just missing some by mere inches as the group immediately scattered as the next volley that came right after fell at their previous spot.

“Tch…I missed it. They got lucky.” Preussen grumbled as she sailed up to them, her guns smoking from recently firing at the group, her secondary guns trained on them as she stared at them.