Chapter 10: Come Back to Me

All characters belong to Gege Akutami

It is three in the morning. The pink clock on the wall ticks second after second being the only sound in the room. Brown hooded eyes burst open and scan every corner of the room. With every direction, he sees himself and by God he hates it. He can no longer take it. He swings out of the bed and goes around the room and takes down every individual photo, throwing it to a pile in the corner of the room which is now full of at least 200 pictures. He climbs onto the bed and jumps up and down, reaching for the ceiling to get that last large poster, not realizing the noise is waking someone up from the other room. He finally reaches the last piece and throws it with the rest. He spits on them before lighting them up with cursed energy. A blue glow lights up the room from the flames. The door swings open.

Satoru stands at the entrance of the room and watches in horror as all of his work gets burned away. He scrambles to the pile to pull out as many as he can to preserve what is left.

"What are you doing!? Yuji, how could you!?!?"

Yuji responds in a monotonous tone. "I hated these the moment I saw them. You know that."

Tears pool in Satoru's eyes as he continues to sort out all of his work on his knees. "HOW COULD YOU JUST DESTROY OUR MEMORIES!?"

Yuji cringes. "Our memories? Satoru, these are just pictures of me you took when you were stalking me for a year. I'm literally sleeping in half of them."

Satoru runs over to him and puts his hands on his shoulders. "These photos show just how much I care for you! How could you ever hate them!?"

"It's not. Fucking. Normal." He spits out his words like venom.

Satoru shouts as he points at the photos, not even realizing in the moment that he is yelling. "YES, IT IS!! IT'S WHAT I HAVE DONE ALL THIS TIME!! JUST FOR YOU!! JUST BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!!!"

Yuji shouts back." You going to hit me again? Just do it! I don't care anymore!"

Satoru's panic turns to guilt the moment those words are spoken and his expression changes completely. Frozen in his tracks, he just stares at him in shock while his mind races. Yuji speaks again, this time without raising his voice.

"Go ahead. I've already been damaged beyond repair. My heart is in pieces, Satoru. I'm in love with you. I'm in love with an abuser. That makes me just as messed up as you are, right?"

The flames slowly die out, and the room is not only illuminated by the moonlight shining through the curtains.

"Yuji, you're not messed up... you're precious... and even if I've ruined you so badly, believe me when I say that I will do everything in my power to make you happy and keep you safe going forward. Do you understand? And I will never hurt you ever again!"

Yuji looks away from him and at the ashes. "Yeah, I guess I'll have to see it to believe it. Go back to sleep."

The last thing Satoru wanted was to go back to sleep but he knew he did not have the right to start any more arguments. Despite this, he could not help but to feel a bit hurt knowing that even after everything, Yuji still did not trust him yet.

How much time does he need to heal? I told him I was sorry... Yuji, don't you see how much you're hurting me? I will wait forever for your love, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind if the wait was shorter...

Satoru inches towards the bed before Yuji puts his hand up.

"Not in here. Go back on the couch."

Satoru leaves with his head hung low. He takes one final look back at Yuji before exiting. Yuji just points out the door. His heart hurts as he just stares at the burnt remains of the photos and then he just keeps walking out to the couch. Even though it is a more suitable place for him this time, he still wants to hold him while he sleeps. Just like they used to.