"It's not what you think" I tried to defend, but even I could hear the invisible question mark at the end of my sentence.

"Oh really?" She challenged "because it looks to me like you were cheating on the exam" she added "now I've already written a note here which you are to take straight to the principal" she ordered as she handed me my backpack, pencil case and the note she had already written.

"Yes Ma'am" I sighed. I am so dead! Why did I ever think this was going to work out?!

"Can I help you?" The secretary asked as I stopped nervously in front of her desk.

I silently handed her the note and watched as she read it and raised a judging eyebrow "take a seat" she instructed before disappearing into the office.

I sat on the bench kicking my legs back and forth for a couple of minutes before the secretary left and the principal appeared.

"Come on in Miss Halstead" He instructed and I hesitantly did as I was told "do you have anything to say for yourself?" He asked as I stared down at my hands.

"No sir" I replied, swallowing down the lump that was now forming in my throat.

"You understand I have no choice but to call your brother?" He asked and I nodded understandingly, a tear finally escaping my eyes and rolling down my cheek "very well" he cleared his throat "go ahead and sit back outside until he arrives" he instructed.

Twenty minutes later

I sat outside the principal's office nervously twiddling my thumbs when Jay finally arrived. He sure didn't look happy.

"You have approximately two minutes before your principal comes out here to tell me exactly what you were thinking" he frowned as he stood, crossed arms, in front of me.

I shrugged silently, too afraid to meet his unimpressed gaze.

"Gracelyn Halstead, look at me right now" he snapped and I immediately brought my eyes up to meet him.

"I didn't even do anything" I lied, making my brothers stare harden.

"You are already in a world of trouble Gracelyn. Are you sure you want to add lying to me on top of that?" He asked seriously. I bit my lip nervously as I thought about what my next move would be.

"I'm not lying!" I exclaimed. Before Jay had the chance to scold me the principal's door opened and he appeared in front of us.

"You must be Gracelyn's brother" he said as he extended his hand for Jay to shake "please do come in" he said, gesturing to his open office door.

"C'mon. Move." He ordered.

"I wanna stay here" I stated as I crossed my arms stubbornly over my chest.

"Tuff. Now move" he instructed sternly.

"Nope" I shook my head with a frown.

"I'm...gonna give you both a couple of minutes" the principal said awkwardly before disappearing back into his office.

"I just wanna go home" I stated, standing up from my seat and marching over to the main doors.

"Don't you dare" he raised his voice "come back here right now" he demanded "I swear to god Gracelyn if I have to come and get you myself you'll be going over my knee right here right now." That was all it took for me to run straight back to his side. He was quick to get a firm grip on my shoulder to stop me from making another escape.

20 minutes later

"Do you have any idea how lucky you've been to get off with just a couple of lunchtime detentions?" Jay ranted as he drove us both back to the district.