// Forty Four

Harry was nearly late to the End of Year Ball Feast. He told Draco, Hermione and Ron that Madam Pomfrey had insisted on giving him one last check up. Draco felt like growling, but not because of that. He didn't even care that Slytherin won the House Cup. It meant that Pansy had won, and that made him at least marginally happier. Everyone in the Hall was dying to get a glimpse of the great Harry Potter, and it was really pissing him off. Harry wasn't a goddamn spectacle! When Dumbledore arrived in the Great Hall the noise all died away. He started off his speech and Draco decided to tune him out. He did, however, start paying attention when Dumbledore said. 

"I have a few last minute points to award." To who? "First, to Mr Ronald Weasley-" Everyone at the Gryffindor table turned to Ron, who had grown bright red in the face to become a tomato once more. "For the best played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor fifty points." Fifty!? Was Dumbledore trying to get them out of last place? They broke so many rules that night! "Second, to Mr Draco Black-" What. The. Hell. "For the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor fifty points." Draco stayed still. He was counting up the points they had now. They had passed Hufflepuff by quite a bit. 

"Third, to Mr Harry Potter-" Harry froze. Ron smiled at him and Hermione nudged him. Draco was still confused about why Dumbledore was doing this. "For pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor sixty points." The cheers coming from the Gryffindor table was deafening. Draco quickly added sixty to the total and realised that they had passed Ravenclaw and were twenty away from tying with Slytherin. Surely Dumbledore was done though. "Fourth, to Miss Hermione Granger-" "What!?" Hermione yelped. "For doing what is best for someone other than herself, even when faced with great danger, I award Gryffindor twenty points." 

Hermione buried her face in her hands in embarrassment. Draco chuckled absently. They had tied with Slytherin. Now what? "And finally, it takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends. Therefore, I award Neville Longbottom ten points." The Gryffindor table actually lost their minds. They had just beaten Slytherin for the first time in seven years. Draco was ecstatic, of course, but with a glance over to Pansy at the Slytherin table, his smile faded a little. She looked so disappointed. "So that means, if I'm correct, that we need a change of decoration." Dumbledore raised his hands and all the Slytherin banners turned into Gryffindor ones. 

The Great Hall went up in cheers once more. Even Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were celebrating the first time Slytherin had lost in seven years. The feast was good, but not as good as the taste of victory. Draco felt as though Lucius was rather dumb for disowning him. 

---------
"Draco, how come you didn't tell us your birthday was the fifth?" Hermione demanded. Draco shrugged. "Didn't seem important." "Didn't seem important!? We missed your birthday!" Hermione exclaimed. "That's very important!" "Well now you know," Draco said casually. He still didn't see the big deal. So he was twelve. Hermione had been twelve for ages, and so had Ron. Well, not ages, since Ron's had been in March, but still. They hadn't made a big deal out of those, simply giving a 'happy birthday' and a hug. They wouldn't even be with Harry for his birthday since it was during the summer. Hermione huffed. "Well, happy late birthday. I'm writing it down so we can celebrate next year." 

Draco chuckled. "Alright, Hermione. You do that." "I will." Hermione turned on her heel and went off towards the dungeons. Draco still didn't know where her room was, but it had to be in the dungeons, because that was the stairway they all took to Potions. He wondered how Hermione was dealing with that. Maybe she had a fireplace in her bedroom. That's what the Slytherin dorms did. Draco stepped into the boys dorm and sat on his bed. Tomorrow was the day he'd leave to spend an entire summer with the Weasleys. At least Ron would be there this time, and Ginny was nice enough too. He had to pack though, and he hadn't even started. 

Draco knew that the Slytherin End of Year Ball was today. He didn't feel like he was missing out on anything, even if he did kind of wish he could go. He had been to balls when he was younger and they weren't too fun. Pansy loved them though, so she was happy she got to go, even if she was going alone because Blaise was being a prat. Blaise, Draco had noticed, had started spending all his time with Crabbe and Goyle. Draco was a little worried about that. Once Blaise earned their loyalty permanently they would do anything he told them. That would be bad, because Blaise wasn't fun when he was angry. Draco packed up his stuff rather quickly and sat on the edge of his bed, messing with his flute. 

He didn't know how he was going to practice it at the Burrow without people bothering him. Maybe there was a place outside he could sit. It was freezing when he had ben there previously, so he hadn't exactly gone exploring. That could be something to occupy his time. Maybe Ginny could show him her favourite spots. She seemed to be the outdoorsy type. "Hey mate. Packing up?" Draco nodded to Ron. "Excited for the summer?" "Oh yeah," Ron answered. "I've been ready to relax for a while." "Same. Are you sure you'll be able to relax, though?" "No." They both laughed a little bit at the thought of getting to relax at the Burrow. It was a pretty fun thought. 

"Wanna play chess?" Ron offered. Draco nodded. "I mean we know who'll win, but sure." Ron grinned. "Of course I'm going to win. I beat McGonagall." Draco grinned back. "You're never going to stop mentioning that are you?" "Nope." They sat down at the table and took out Ron's chess set. Draco was the white pieces, because Ron now thought that the black pieces were lucky. Draco tried all of his best strategies, but Ron seemed to really be a secret genius or something. After a couple of games that Draco lost, Harry came up to the dorm with a worried look on his face. "Draco?" Draco looked up. "Yes?" "It's Pansy. She got disowned."