The Caretaker (part 1)

Unhappy with a new treaty, Federation Colonists along the Cardassian border have banded together. Calling themselves 'The Maquis', they continue to fight the Cardassians. Some consider them heroes, but to the governments of the Federation and Cardassia, they are outlaws.

[Maquis ship]

A massive Cardassian ship was firing at a tiny little vessel.

„Damage report.", Chakotay said. He was a Native American with a tattoo over his eyebrow.

The Vulcan, Tuvok, answered: „Shields at sixty percent."

„A fuel line has ruptured. Attempting to compensate.", B'Elanna Torres, the half human and half Klingon engineer stated. 

„Damn it! We're barely maintaining impulse. I can't get any more out of it."

„Be creative!", snapped Chakotay.

„How am I supposed to be creative with a thirty nine year old rebuilt engine?", B'Elanna retorted.

„Maquis ship, this is Gul Evek of the Cardassian Fourth Order. Cut your engines and prepare to surrender or we will d-", Gul Evek said on the screen, before Chakotay cut the transmission.

„Initiating evasive pattern omega. Mark.", Chakotay said.

„Shields at fifty percent.", Tuvok informed him.

„I need more power if we're going to make it to the Badlands.", Chakotay stated.

„Take the weapons offline. We'll transfer all power to the engines.", B'Elanna suggested. 

„Considering the circumstances, I question that proposal at this time.", Tuvok said. 

„What does it matter? We're not making a dent in their shields anyway! You wanted creative.", B'Elanna replied.

„Tuvok, shut down all the phaser banks. If you can give me another thirty seconds at full impulse, I'll get us into the Badlands.", Chakotay stated.

„Phasers offline.", Tuvok said.

„Throw the last photons at them and then give me the power from the torpedo system.", Chakotay ordered.

„Acknowledged. Firing photons.", Tuvok replied. Two torpedoes exploded against the Cardassian ship.

„Are you reading any plasma storms ahead?", Chakotay asked.

„One. Co-ordinates one seven one, mark four three.", Tuvok said.

„That's where I'm going.", Chakotay stated.

„Plasma storm density increasing by fourteen percent. Twenty. Twenty five.", Tuvok said. 

„Hold on!", Chakotay exclaimed as the little ship dodged around the plasma streamers.

„The Cardassian ship is not reducing power. They're following us in.", Tuvok noticed.

„Gul Evek must feel daring today.", Chakotay said.

„They've taken a hit on their port blade. They're sending out a distress signal on all Cardassian frequencies.", Tuvok said.

„Can you plot a course through these plasma fields, Mister Tuvok?", Chakotay asked.

„The storm's activity is typically widespread in this vicinity. I can plot a course, but I'm afraid it will require an indirect route.", Tuvok replied.

„We can use a time to make some repairs.", Chakotay said. 

„What was that?"

„Curious. We've just passed through some kind of coherent tetryon beam.", Tuvok answered his question.