“How do you mean?”

“I don’t know. I’m worried about the triplets leaving me for weeks. There’s no punishment, no pain. It’s as though I’ve been neglected. It scares me as much as it soothes me—a fear of the unknown. Something of the sort.” I open up to Aiden, and he grabs my hand to give it a light push.

“You should only be excited.” He says that, but my forehead won’t stop furrowing. “And about your question, I have no idea, although I know one thing. It’s about my master, the triplets’ uncle. He seems pissed last night after having gone to the triplets’ room. He ordered me out of the room yesterday, but I may have overheard him talking about...you.” He stops there and squints his eyes at me.

The triplets Uncle had a speech about me. What’s that supposed to mean? I am filled with more curiosity at this point.

“I don’t understand.”

“I should be the one to ask you that. How important are you to the triplets? I did think of it too and wondered why they kept you alive all this time when they could have killed you as they did every other witch.” He pauses and stands up before he walks a few paces into the distance. “Then, I thought maybe they see something in you, and maybe that’s true. They shouldn’t have a reason to kill the late Alpha Alaric of Crestwood for no reason. There are more witches out there, but why have they stopped with you?” He trails off again, his voice drawling to show that he’s speaking and, at the same time, thinking deeply for answers.

“My master said something about a bond or something of the sort, that perhaps there’s something more that the triplets aren’t telling him, and it pisses him off.” He adds.

The knowledge from his narration leaves me with more questions. It’s been long since I concluded that there’s something that the triplets aren’t telling anyone about their connection with me. They’ve wasted, killed, and stuck too much with me when they could have other witches who are even more beautiful than I am, and they could have been irritated by my body and skin from all the tattered, but they weren’t. It leaves me to wonder about myself.

What am I to them?

“Is there anything else that you heard or saw?” My voice is tight, and I sit on the very edge of the seat, eager.

“Well, I don’t think so... When I got out of there, I caught one of the sex slaves at the entrance, but she quickly hurried away.”

“Which of them?”

Aiden shakes his head. “I am confined to only knowing every need of my master, not knowing the names of every werewolf and she-wolf in the palace.”

True. “You’re right.” Nodding my head, I agree before I lose myself in a stare at the tiled floor.

Aiden probably noticed this because he shakes my shoulders to make me come back alive. “Yeah...”

“You have those wrinkles on...” He traces his hand on my forehead and stands up afterwards. “I don’t know whatever it is you’re thinking, but I suggest it’d be better if we go get some fresh air.”

“I think we should stay inside,” there’s an evident sense of uncertainty in my voice, and that’s because I can’t place everything that Aiden has told me in clarity.

Why would one of the sex slaves be at the door and hurry away when Aiden opens the door if they weren’t eavesdropping? Or why would the triplets’ uncle be angry at the triplets and mention me? I could be in another danger, and I wouldn’t want Aiden involved in it at all by being seen with me.

“The triplets are capable of anything. Perhaps it’d be best we stay indoors today, or you should better still go and do your work.” I am caught in the middle of a ball of fear.

Unexpectedly, Aiden forces me to stand up and spills, “excuse me, it’s time for apple picking, and my master has asked me to make some apple cider for him. There is more reason for you to come along. It would be like me just taking you around, nothing more. I am at work and just bringing you along, so you can calm down.“He knows he is convincing me because of my actions.

There’s no way I am rejecting his offer. He isn’t even making way for that.

“All right.” Through a tight voice, I agree.

“That’s it, Kaya. We aren’t just wandering around. It’s my job, and you’re only accompanying me.” While he is telling, my eyes roll up and down his frame.

“As lanky as you are, you are quite courageous. I didn’t think anyone wanted themselves to be seen with me—by the triplets, of course.”

“Well, I’m not a jerk like the others.” He says it and laughs.

“Well, then, we should not waste any time. Let’s hurry so you don’t get punished later.” I stand up and prepare myself for apple picking.

There’s a fear lurking inside me that causes my stomach to crumble in anxiety, hoping nothing bad happens, and at the same time, another part of me is wrestling with excitement.

***

Read more than 20 chapters ahead on Inkitt :)