Chapter Eleven: Night Four

"But how did you know my last name was Afton? You couldn't just have guessed it".

      Michael closed the door of Henry's office behind him, creating a wall between him and the entrance hall. In the meantime, Vanessa was already looking for the case where the grey box rested, unnoticed.

      "Well, it was a shot in the dark, but I figured it weird to remember the name of a very specific employee, you know? And Henry's story about little Mike ended up confirming it all to me".

      The night guard slowly walked towards the desk, but instead of focusing on the cases he directed his gaze towards Vanessa, tickling with his hands and fingers.

      "Van... I... about that thing, I swear... I was a terrible brother for Evan, the one that got killed in 1983..." Vanessa also interrupted her task, preferring to carefully listen to Michael's words. "Even if it was an accident, I shouldn't have done it... I just hope you don't hate me for this".

      The girl took a moment to look around the office, while Michael still played around with his fingers, his heart starting to accelerate as more and more seconds passed away in pure silence.

      "Look, what's in the past, is in the past... I admit it's kinda horrible what you did, but you seem to regret it... Let's just focus on getting the proof we need, and scramming out of here before the animatronic gang gets activated. We can talk later".

      Not the best, but also not the worst. Later it would be then.

      Finally, Michael used Vanessa's keys to open the case where he had found the grey box. It was still there, unopened, as he had left it yesterday.

      "Strange for Fritz to have such a thing..."

      "What do you mean?" Michael asked, perplexed at the fact Vanessa knew that the box belonged to Fritz.

      "Look at the number written at the side of the case, it's the employee number. You know the company policy allows you to have some stuff here all the time, right? Fritz decided to leave this box here, and Henry put it inside the case with his number".

      "Right..." Michael said, scolding himself mentally for not paying attention to such details before.

      The night guard then took the box out of the case, and after placing it on Henry's desk, took out the two tiny silvery keys. He handed one over to Vanessa, so that she could open the second lock. Then, at the same time, both of them inserted the keys into their places, turned them, and finally were able to open the secret box they so much desired to know its contents.

      Once it was open, even before putting his hand inside to get the stuff out, Michael pulled the cover over to fully open the box. Inside, there was a detailed plan of the pizzeria, and there also were some designs of animatronic robots Michael had never before seen in the pizzeria...

      "Strange, why would Fritz have the plan of Freddy's? And what are these robots? I never saw them before..."

      "I did" Michael declared. "Five years ago. In an underground bunker... They were... built by my dad, some original creations of his. He told me he wanted to open a second restaurant, Circus Baby's Pizza, but... for some reason, there was a gas leak in the complex and he had to get everything closed".

      Michael observed in horror the designs of the animatronics. He remembered them all, and how they had haunted him for five dark nights at that underground bunker right below his house. He had been tasked by some sort of Artificial Intelligence to revise the animatronics, and had needed to get too close to them...