She shrugged some more.

Claudia reached for the Ender Dragon to look it over. "I mean, I've learned not to give a crap. People are gonna suck and judge you no matter what you say. Or don't say."

Suddenly, Mary popped into the doorway. "What are you doing?" she asked quickly.

Both Claudia and Kimmy jumped out of their skin.

"Dear Lord! You scared the piss out of me," Claudia stated, clutching her chest. "You bitch." She then flipped Mary off.

Kimmy would have thought Claudia was mad if it weren't for the fact, the girls did stuff like this often to each other, and laughed about it afterward. Josh did this kind of thing with the people in his chat, as well. She did not know what to make of it.

Mary stuck her tongue out in retaliation as if she was her brother's age.

Kayla came up behind Mary, letting the girls know dinner was ready. Mary then followed her downstairs.

Claudia turned back to the youngest girl. "You can tell me anything." She nudged Kimmy's arm. "I promise I won't judge you or be offended."

Kimmy looked up with just her eyes in unassurance.

Claudia playfully grabbed Kimmy's head as she stood up and encouraged her to go downstairs to eat.

-- & --

Jennifer had come by Monday afternoon to see Mary and Miguel.

As assumed, everything was progressing nicely for the siblings. Once Mary finished the fall semester, she and Miguel would move to their aunt's house. In the meantime, instead of the Friday evening visits, they would stay the entire weekend. From Friday evening to Sunday afternoon.

Which of course was great for the siblings. Ben and Kayla were planning to take the kids to a bunch of holiday activities over the weekends, though. They were glad for them to have a happy ending and be with family. As much as Miguel had come to love his aunt, he still did not want to leave Ben and Kayla's house. So Jennifer's visit turned emotional when the boy learned a date was finally set.

Kayla talked to Rosa about keeping in touch. Since Mary and Miguel were their longest placement yet it would seem strange not to, especially with Mary's birthday coming up in a few months. Saying good-bye was always the hardest no matter how long a kid stayed with them. So far, Ben has been able to bounce back after a few days. This time, he wasn't sure a few days would be enough.

Everything continued as normal, including meeting with Nicole. Mary especially needed it after last week with her stepdad.

Nicole met with the kids first, before meeting with Ben, to discuss an overview of what they talked about. Though the outcome that Mary wanted from her stepdad wasn't what she hoped it would be. Sometimes that's all a person could do.

"Healing and forgiveness is for ourselves. Not the other person," Nicole explained what she had told Mary, to Ben. "Is it nice when both parties can come to an acceptance? Absolutely. But it doesn't always happen that way. All we can control is ourselves and how we react to what life throws at us."

"I just wish he would consider where Mary is coming from," Ben said with a sigh. "My dad thinks parents and their children will always be this way."

"Everyone sees things differently through the lens of their own experiences. It's clear both Mary and her stepdad are both hurting. I'm sure with time and both of them sticking with therapy in the future, they'll find that healing. At least in themselves."

Ben forced a corner of his mouth up. He also hoped for that as well, especially for Mary. He was just glad Miguel was coming around to being his own person. Between Kayla and Nicole helping, along with his sister's support, Miguel reconsidered taking gymnastics. Jumping on the trampoline was just too much fun for the boy. Since they wouldn't be around for the entire month of December, Ben searched for a children's gym that offered gymnastics classes close to Rosa's house and paid for the entire month so Miguel could see if it really was what he wanted to do.