Anti-Britain Grand Alliance

Start from the beginning

Only the budget and documents requiring the king's approval were attended to briefly, for about an hour, while I was sitting up. Antoinette had strongly warned me to stay absolutely still, and I intended to follow her instructions. Moreover, Princesse de Lamballe often visited, probably worried, to check if I was doing anything beyond what was prescribed.

I had heard from Antoinette before about Princesse de Lamballe being interested in someone. So, when I indirectly brought up the topic during our conversation, it seemed she had become friendly with a wealthy commoner, belonging to the reformist faction, through meetings organized by the reformists. However, considering Princesse de Lamballe's past experience of marrying a husband who died of venereal disease due to his infidelity, she was hesitant about marriage. Even though it's currently impossible, she's considering legal reforms or persuading Christian authorities to allow marriages via loopholes like adoption.

So, I maintained a strict regime of rest, waking up at 9 in the morning, having breakfast, then spending the day reading or inquiring about Antoinette and the children, checking political and economic situations, and going to bed by 9 in the evening. Thanks to this routine, my fever subsided by early October, and by November, I had fully recovered.

"Nevertheless, Your Majesty's recovery is truly a relief. Since your prognosis is stable, it seems appropriate to gradually resume duties from today."

"Ah, thank you, Sanson... I appreciate your help."

"Not at all. However, if you resume all-nighters, all the progress made could be for naught. So, for the time being, please try to sleep by 11 o'clock even if you're busy."

The cause of my illness was likely overwork and the time-consuming process of organizing the situation regarding the New Treatise of Government. I sent out notices again to the staff, ministers, and officials, urging them not to overwork themselves and to rest properly. Returning to work in my office after two months was an even more gratifying experience than before. Furthermore, from this time onwards, Antoinette started supporting me more closely. Her increased dedication and support in my duties were truly appreciated.

"Antoinette... Are you pushing yourself too hard?"

"I'm fine! Besides, if you handle all the work alone, you'll end up overexerting yourself... So, I'll assist and support you, Lord Auguste!"

"...Thank you, really..."

"Not at all, because we're family. Supporting loved ones is a family duty, after all."

Lately, Antoinette had been seeking help with childcare, so we discussed Thérèse and Joseph together and talked about educational policies, and childcare methods while consulting each other. It felt quite innovative for both of us to work together, but it was immensely helpful to hear Antoinette's perspectives on various matters.

She expresses herself clearly and voices her opinions when asked, which made our work from the end of the year to January even smoother than before. Now, it was time to execute one of the most important events of the year.

"Your Majesty, here are the documents... the original copies."

"The time has finally come... Could you place them on the desk?"

"At once, Your Majesty...!"

The thick, securely locked box containing the official documents... I wonder how future historians will feel when they peer into it... Perhaps they'll feel a sense of romance if they get to see it.

"Well then... It's finally time to address this issue..."

"Indeed... It's finally beginning..."

"Yes... This is the evidence of Europe's unity... At the same time, it's a sign of execution for those who sacrificed themselves as the stepping stone for unity... It's an indescribable feeling..."