𝟐𝟎 | 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐎𝐧𝐞'𝐬 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟

Start from the beginning

"My family? Is this why you've requested me today?" Placing my tea down, shifting my attention attentively on him. "You know you shouldn't need too, besides our families massacre investigation was only scratched across the surface. Those local authorities weren't even as eager to dig deeper, but maybe it was for the best........."

Lower my eyes for a moment, I take a bite of the daifuku feeling the sweetness taking away the bitterness I felt.

"Hayami, only the Demon Slayer Corps and anyone in ties shall know," Akihiro places a warm hand upon my shoulder, with a gentle squeeze. His warm expression eases me a little. "Have you opened up to anyone about it? Does anyone else know...?"

For a moment I hesitated, my fingertip lightly trails around the rim of the cup. Shaking my head, "A few do, but.....it's something I'm scared to admit," my eyes trail to the mountains in view, feeling the warm sun reach noon. "Anyway, may I ask........you wished to see me. How come not Ryuji?"

His face soon contorts subtly with sheepish look, "He's already on top of the history," he affirms gruffly, scratching hi stubble chin again. His head perks up in interest, "But, he was always in many scrolls and books when he was younger......he learned quickly. However, this story feels more like it would give you some benefit.........a purpose if you will...."

"Purpose? But isn't history meant to stay in the past?" taking another bite into the sweet Daifuku, my brows pinch together in curiosity.

He chuckles and nods, "Well yes, but......thanks to paintings and years of practice...." he pulls out a scroll, or more of a painting. An heirloom for safe keeping. Passing it to me with great care, I hesitantly take the old bamboo material scroll. ".....thanks to this, I've noticed subtle similarities to the first chieftess...."

"Chieftess?"

Curiously, I unroll the painting and soon my eyes fall upon a woman; though it's a bit smudged and four hundred years old to exactly see clearly, she was not much older than in her twenties. Her hair was raven black exactly like my father's, though the colours have faded over time, she has azure eyes. Her expression so gentle, wise, and very amicable; I assume she was well respected in her time.

"Were the times as gracious to her, than of now?" I assume, glancing up to my teacher. "I mean, if this is roughly four-hundred years old.......it would be about the time of--"

"The Sengoku Period, the golden age of the Demon Slayers," He nods his head, confirming my notions about the time. "The time when Demon Slayer marks appeared, a time where a woman made a difference from her time. She made a name for herself, but...." his eyes darken for a moment. "....the men within the Mizutsuki clan, were prejudice and were about inequality."

Scoffing I roll my eyes, "There it is again, always dividing genders....." my jaw tightens, before glancing back at the woman. My fingertips trails along the jawline, taking every detail that stood out before landing upon a small waning crescent moon. A birthmark; the same as mine.

".....answering your question before, she......" he was hesitant, making me sit there waiting for him to continue. His eyes held an emotion that was troubling, before a sigh drifts from his lips, "....she was respected, yes. However, it caused a family disputation. I don't know much, but judging by her journal........she said she never regretted joining the Demon Slayer Corps in her father's place."

My eyes glows in response, my heart pounding; eager to know what she was like.

He then glances over to my blade, "You know......when you received your blade, I assumed it would be the same as your brothers," he admits, with a chuckle. "It seems you have the same ore, that your ancestor wielded.....written in her journal, she said she wielded a blade, that was azure. A beautiful shade of blue........it symbolises serenity, loyalty and honour....it fits you."