chapter four : "ex's and oh's"

Lucille Sinclair was a mystery to him

A pretty one, that's for sure but also very fragile and brave. When he first heard her name it sounded weirdly familiar, as if he met her before but there was no image of her in his memory.

When Mack told him and Chucho about her back in March, he began to wonder. What does she look like, what color are her eyes? Are they the same as her uncle's? And most importantly, why the hell is she coming down here?

To the place he loved and hated at the same time. To the middle of nowhere, right by the border with Mexico. Laredo was small town but people here made it much bigger than it seemed. Nothing could stay as a secret here, and not even a week later everybody knew that O'Nelly's niece was going to pay him a visit. For how long? Nobody knew the answer to that.

So Javier waited. Growing more curious each day while living his routine until that one afternoon when he finally, finally met her and the reality laughed at his face.

Because she was nothing like he expected her to be. Twenty year old, awfully rich and snobby...

She seemed lost, literally. He was glad he pulled her out of that bar, immediately hit by her sweet scent that clouded his senses for the rest of that day.

Even her voice was much more pleasant than he thought, quiet but firm. Even though she looked like a lost-puppy she didn't hesitate to accept his help. She even thanked him for that. Javier couldn't remember when was the last time someone was truly grateful for his actions. She showed him gratitude for something so simple and yet managed to linger on his mind more than she should.

He left her after making sure that they got to the right place, before the stupid idea of getting to know her more would completly overhelm him.

Then he met her again. This time on his father's ranch. She said something about the eggs and Jenkins but all he could focus on were her eyes. In shade of Rio Grande at night. His favorite. Then his gaze dropped to her lips and cleavage but he was quick to snap himself out of that.

He laughed to himself at the vision of having siblings. He found it adorable. Then he quickly shook himself off of these ridiculous thoughts and went back to do what he does best -- being an asshole.

He told her to go back. He didn't want to see her anymore. Not today at least. He hurt her, he could see that by the look on her face but remained untouched. He wasn't going to spare her, to suddenly go sweet on her just because she was pretty and lost. If she wanted to live here, she should learn how.

And he would lie if he said that he didn't regret his words the second she disappeared from his sight.

He even found himself thinking about her, sitting on the porch with a cold beer in his hand. Chucho was supposed to be back any minute now but Javier wasn't in the mood for talking. He just wanted to stop thinking about Lucille Sinclair.