chapter two: it takes one to know one

She woke up confused and somehow even more tired

She layed in bed for some time until she made sure that Mack was awake. She got dressed, finished her new morning routine and eventually went down for a breakfast.

Her uncle greeted her with a plate of waffles and still warm cup of coffee. Lucille thanked him and gently reminded that she is perfectly capable of doing meals on her own. After the words escaped her, tension filled the air as Mack nodded in response and went further into the house.

She was really bad at forming relationships.

After cleaning the stables with Mack they both hopped in his truck and went to the town for shopping. Lucy was left quite astonished by the number of people that knew her uncle. She took him for an old, rusty cowboy who doesn't set foot from his ranch.

Turns out, Mack O'Nelly was full of surprises.

"Alright, m'gonna grab a few things and you can look around. But no wandering off, got it?" he put on his hat and gave her a warning look.

I'm not a child, she wanted to say but bit on on her tongue just in time and nodded.

She put her hands into pockets of her jeans shorts and began to walk forward, still keeping an eye on the truck in case she needed to go back. She followed the line of the pavement until she stopped at one of the shops with souvenirs. She frowned looking at the magnets and colorful keychains with funny ttexts written on them.

That was until she felt something tugging on her shirt.

Lucille looked to her right and saw a little girl with sad expression on her face and wobbling bottom lip.

"Hello there," she crouched down to her level and lightly touched her shoulders. "What's wrong sweetie?"

"I can't find my mommy." she said in a squeaky, adorable voice now filled with worry. "Can you help me?"

"Of course," she grabbed her small hand and began to walk. "What's your name?"

"Delilah. But my mommy calls me Snips." she sniffled.

How adorable.

"Nice to meet you, Delilah. My name is Lucille." she offered.

"Can I call you Lu?" younger girl looked up at her and was met with a nod. "That's a pretty name."

"Not as pretty as yours." she sent something in a shape of smile.  "When was the last time you have seen your mommy, Delilah?"