I Alicent's P.O.V

Start from the beginning

I was furious as well. Were they all as blind as the King? Did they not see how wonton their heir was? How she flaunted her affair before the full court without any punishment! How she used her own poor trueborn daughter to hide her sins! The only good thing that came out about it is that Helaena will get a companion and Aemond a Valyrian wife. My daughter was... delicate. She enjoyed activities that other ladies did not and she spoke in riddles that confused even me. However, Princess Lucerys had proven herself to be a good companion. Even at only three namedays, she would nod and giggle at my daughter's weird comments, not once finding her weird. Her daughter, who detested touch, would drag her around Aegon's garden to look for bugs, and Princess Lucerys would allow it without any complaint.

As for my son, as a second son he would not inherit anything. But if he married Princess Lucerys, he would get to become Lord Consort of Driftmark and my grandchildren would get a grand seat to inherit one day. Not to mention, it would give my sweet Aemond a Valyrian bride, strengthening the Greens, and maybe even bringing House Baratheon to our side. My father had informed me of Ser Leanor's deviant desires and his inability to be his wife as it is his duty. Princess Lucerys was a fluke, my father was sure there would be no other trueborn Velaryon born from the union of Rhaenyra and her husband. And with Lady Laena's difficulties in conceiving, she would most likely only have her twins, who were no challenge to Princess Lucerys inheritance.

Unlike my father, though, I did not believe Princess Lucerys to be a fluke. To me she was a gift from the Gods, to pay my son back for his devotion and goodness. She would give my son what he deserved, the perfect bride, children for him to dote upon, and an inheritance to pass on to his heirs. And unlike the rest of her deviant family, I knew that the poor girl was loyal, brave, and true.

I was startled by my thoughts by a screeching, I almost jumped back when I noticed the beast that my son had wrapped around his neck. It was a dragon! My son had a dragon! Though, if I recall correctly, the young beast was called a hatchling. Three of my children's dragon eggs did not hatch, much to my father's disappointment. To be honest I had always feared those beasts, they were unholy, and I never understood the Targaryens obsession with them. But like with Aegon's name and the Green's plan to betrothed him to his sister, they were a symbol of power. The greatest symbol of power.

A dragonless Targaryen was a weak one. You only need to look at our actual King to see that for yourself. So, I understood my father's dissatisfaction on the matter. Especially, after Rhaenyra's bastard's dragon egg hatched on the crib. With Syrax, Vermax, Seasmoke, Caraxes, Vhagar, and Meleys the Blacks were in possession of six dragons. It did not matter if the whole realm supported my son, if the conqueror was able to conquer Westeros with three dragons, I shuddered to think what they will achieve with six. Especially, with Maegor reborn on the Blacks' side. Oh, how I loathed Daemon Targaryen.

Luckily, my fourth child who I thanked the Seven who guided me true, had managed to make his dragon egg hatch into Tessarion, who the court had started calling The Blue Queen. My eldest, who was a disappointment in everything but this matter, had managed to bond with a hatchling when he was young, Sunfyre. And recently, my daughter almost made my heart stop when she sneaked into the Dragonpit to claim Dreamfyre. Oh, the pride I felt when my daughter claimed the dragon of a true queen.

It only left my son dragonless, my sweet Aemond's dragon egg did not hatch, and Rhaenyra had demanded the only dragon egg left, after Daemon had taken the others to give to his spawns, for her daughter. It left Aemond heartbroken, even my assurances that there were many dragons to claim did not help. I might not understand the obsession with dragons, I might hate and fear them, but if my son wanted one, I would do anything to help him get one. Aemond was the perfect son and deserved one, more than Rhaenyra's bastard that is for sure.