Feelings and Junk

Bump. Bump. Bump.

You open your eyes, but all you see is darkness. You can't see your hands, your body, anything. All you get is a thumping in your ears.

Your heartbeat.

Somewhere in the inky blackness, you see a purple clock. It has already begun counting down. It's at 7 minutes. That's...

That's your Lifeclock.

Someone removed your PAK.

You rip yourself out of your mind and open your working eye to find yourself back in the hospital room, Tak at your feet working on your PAK while your friends watch intently. You look over at Zim; he's staring blankly at your PAK, his hands stiffly at his sides. He tenses every second or so, and Tak does as well.

"Everything ok?" You ask, startling all four people. Tak nods and continues working, Dib and Gaz glancing at each other and then back at you.

"What's your clock at?" Tak grunts, not looking up from her work.

"Umm... 6:25" you answer. She nods and goes back into silence.

"Wh-what happens when it reaches zero?" Dib stutters, wringing his hands.

"Same thing when the human brain is deprived of oxygen for 10 minutes." Zim says monotonously, seemingly trying to shut down his emotions, "Certain doom. Although, it's much more severe for us."

"I'll be fiiiine," you slur, reaching out for Zim's hand. He looks conflicted for a minute, but remains his distance. You frown, and drop your hand. His gaze flickers to you then back to the floor.

"Your Lifeclock is so loud." He mutters after a few minutes, wanting more than anything to hold you but stops himself.

"You can hear it?" Gaz asks.

"Yes— Irken's can sense when their companions are about to expire." He fidgets nervously, "it's so they can try to help reattach the PAK. It's... nerve wracking, having to watch helplessly as your fellow invader slowly dies."

"I'm not gonna die, Ziiim," you breathe, staring bleary eyed at the ceiling. Your green color begins to fade slightly, and you struggle to even wiggle your antenna. The room echoes with silence as everyone grows to be on edge. Tak growls in frustration as she keeps working on the PAK.

"What's it doing?"

"It really doesn't wanna be reprogrammed." She sighs, "Something keeps reverting the changes I make." She looks up at you. "Time?"

"Twoooooo mminutesss" is all you can manage. Tak shakes her head and sits you up, reattaching your PAK. Your Lifeclock fades out of your vision and you feel rejuvenated, shaking off your prior tiredness. You reactivate your disguise.

"I'm gonna have to get you to someone who can reprogram it." She stands up, putting her tool away. "Best thing we can do right now."

"You didn't even fix it?" Zim asks incredulously, taking a step forward. "Are you serious?"

"Yes, I'm serious. Something's countering my program changes. We need someone with more clearance." Tak rolls her eyes, "Come on, let's go."

"Where we going?" You question, throwing the hospital blankets off of yourself.

"Home. We can use a computer to try to get in contact with someone." She nods at Dib and Gaz, who move from their places in the room to follow her.

"Don't we have to get him discharged?" Dib asks, grabbing his trench coat from the wall and throwing it on.

"I'll put false memories in their brains, don't worry." Tak, gestures for everyone to come along, opening the door.

You grab your flowers and hop out of the hospital bed only for your body to scream at you to stop moving. You let out a hiss and freeze, and Zim rushes to your side. "My leg," you grit your teeth. "Forgot about that."