3 | because I am a woman?

S1 E1

S1 E1

diamond of the first water

Ambitious mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is!

It should be noted that the duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of ever marrying. This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.

"YOU KNOW, I DO SUPPOSE if it were not for an overzealous mother at every corner, this time of year in the city would not be so very dreadful." Simon leans into his chair to be more comfortable.

"Those mothers simply want the same as you, I rather think." Anthony replies, sitting across from him at his club.

"For every last one of them to choke on their daughters' hair ribbons?" Simon raises an eyebrow.

"For you to claim a wife, Hastings." Anthony corrects. "Are you not planning on taking your place in society when you have a dukedom?"

"I have a title, which, as far as I'm concerned, will end with me." Simon informs.

"But Hastings..." Anthony tries to continue.

"Stop calling me that." Simon snaps, then continues softer than before. "It was my father's name. Never mine. And in any case, what of you?"

"What of me?" Anthony replies.

"You are the firstborn Bridgerton of a firstborn Bridgerton, nine times over." Simon replies, as Anthony motions for his drink to be replenished. "You have been married for almost an year not, where are your children?" Anthony just looks away, making Simon tilt his head. "Oh! Is your plan to fuck her forever, your mistress? You shall need to sire an heir."

"I'm in possession of something that you are not." Anthony gives him a cocky smile. "Brothers."

"And what of your wife?" Simon challenges. "Is she supposed to sit still alone as you continue to cheat her?"

"I am hardly cheating her." Anthony scoffs. "There is no love shared between us."

"Is that supposed to justify defrauding your lady?" Simon raises an eyebrow.