Soul Link

A very cloudy, cold night. The gray colour dominated over the rest. The nimbus clouds covered the stars and the moon and not much light was able to touch the surface. The Khelthus bridge was enlightened enough so you could see the holes in the ground and avoid them. The wide stone blocks, holding the bridge path 250 meters above ground were covered in dead leaves and vines, fighting for their life. The ravine, over which the massive build was constructed, was full of bushes, sideway growing trees and weird animals and night birds. It went straight down just as the forest on both sides ended and in the bottom of it there was a river, a very fast stream, rocky, thin river that never stopped flowing. No one really visited the bridge. It was infamous for being haunted by the souls of the jaded ones. People had reported seeing ghosts, pictures appearing fuzzy and distorted, strange change of temperature along the bridge.

But tonight there was something else. Something different than the dead cold wind, stroking the leaves of the plants. There was a boy. A fifteen years old boy, sitting on the side of the bridge facing the stream of the river. His black hair was washed and nicely made, covering a part of his crystal eyes. A black leather jacket, gray shirt, black pants and boots. The air was full of little rain drops that managed to chip off from the clouds and enjoy some freedom. But they weren't the reason for the wet cheecks and puffy eyes of the boy. He had cried, a lot. He didn't want to move much, not because he was tired or afraid of the ghosts, but because he couldn't bare with the pain from the cloth rubbing against his cuts on the arms, legs, collar bones and chest. His mind was a blur. His heart was in pieces, so little he couldn't stick back, so many that the gusts of the pain had blown them away forever. He  was holding something in his hands, cradling it as if it was the most valuable thing in the world. And it was; in his world. It was a little golden medalion with tiny flowers graved into its surface. In the middle there was a gemstone. The medalion as if shined in the gray atmosphere, as if it had power. And it did have.

The boy looked at the sky - clouds, no stars, no moon, no light. It started raining slowly and his tears began raining too. Sobbing, weeping and carefully brushing the tears away so he doesn't feel much pain from the rubbing cloth, he thought about the reason he was there. The silence, accompanied by the slender wind, was broken by crunching sounds from the left side of the Khelthus bridge. A pale young girl, dressed in a white summer dress appeared from the bushes. She was dirty, her clothes ripped and her face was washing in fear. She saw the boy and after a quick breath take she rushed towards him. He noticed her and quickly turned the other way so she couldn't see his tears.

Young girl: Benny! 

No response. She cralwed up on the side of the bridge and sat on her knees, putting one of her hands on his shoulder really gently: 

Young girl: Don't do it, Benny! You'll be better I promise!

Ben: It's been three months, it doesn't go away, it's only gotten worse! 

Young girl: It's a phase, it will start getting better, please wait! 

Ben: You don't understand me... You've never been so attached to someone, you've never felt anyone so close! You can't live if half of what your life was is thrown away and lost forever! 

Young girl: Please, brother, I may not understand you but... 

The boy pushed her hand away from his shoulder: 

Ben: She came in my sad, gray, dying life full of misery and misforture and she spreaded her roots in my heart. They kept growing and growing, she took all over my body, my mind, my heart, my lungs, my stomach, she became everything I ever wanted! She was what held me alive, maintained my happiness, allowed me to give her all my love and now she's gone!