003. walker dinner

Start from the beginning

They look over as a truck approaches.

"Oh, my God. Your dad is here." Bel panics.

"Shit." Taylor whispers.

Another truck parks behind Cordell, a female ranger getting out.

"Two Texas Rangers is kind of the last thing I need, but... thanks anyway." Bel says, leaving.

"Yeah, I-- I'm gonna go before my mom finds out and disowns me." Taylor says, quickly escaping.

+++

"Ooh, I wanted to talk to you about something." Katherine says.

"What?" Cheyenne asks.

"So Abilene invited us over for dinner -- all of us. I think it'd be nice if you and the kids went." Katherine says.

"Mom." Cheyenne groans.

"Oh, come on. A homecooked meal would be nice." Katherine says.

"I make meals." Cheyenne says.

"I know. That's not what--" Katherine sighs. "I meant a homemade meal you don't have to cook."

"Yeah, that's why we come to you." Cheyenne grins and Katherine chuckles.

"Well, your father and I will be at the Walker ranch tonight." Katherine states. "Abilene said that, uh, that kid who was friends with Cordell is there. Uh... oh! Hoyt. Hoyt Rawlins."

"You and dad wanna have dinner with a felon?" Cheyenne questions.

"I don't." Landon grumbles, walking into the kitchen.

"Landon." Katherine warns.

"And now we gotta introduce our grandchildren to him." Landon rolls his eyes.

"They're friends with Stella and Augie, they'd probably meet him anyway at some point." Katherine says. "Baby?" She turns to her daughter. "It's just one meal. Really good cooking, some good company, kids get to see their friends. Come on."

"Fine." Cheyenne rolls her eyes.

+++

The family get to the Walker house and Katherine rings the doorbell. The door opens after a bit, Abilene grinning.

"Oh, hi." She greets, hugging Katherine. "How are you?"

"We're doing good." Katherine smiles. "And yourselves?"

"Oh, yeah, we're good." Abilene says. She greets the kids and Landon. "Hi, Cheyenne."

"Hi, Mrs. Walker." Cheyenne kindly smiles, accepting the woman's hug.

"Uh... hey." Cordell walks over. "Hi." He politely smiles at the couple. "What, uh... I didn't know we had more company."

"Yes, I invited them over." Abilene says.

"Oh, little Cordi Walker." Katherine softly laughs. "Well, not so little anymore."

"Yeah." Cordell laughs. "Hi, Mrs. Hunter. Good to see you. And you, Taylor. Nice to see you in... less tense circumstances."

"Yeah." She mumbles.

"And, uh..." Cordell looks between the two boys.

"Cody, Randy." Cheyenne informs, pointing to each boy.

"Nice to meet you guys." Cordell says.

"Come on. Come in, no need to hover." Abilene says, walking towards the kitchen, Katherine and the teens following her.

"Mr. Hunter." Cordell holds his hand out to the man. Landon only grunts as he passes the younger man, following the rest to the kitchen. Cordell awkwardly closes his hand, making a face.