chapter 024.

twenty four. only safe when i'm alone.

          They had only left when Lyra's phone had buzzed from Tom's message of concern. Edward was fearful, saddened by their departure, but with Carrie's pinky promise they'd return, he let them go.

It felt disrespectful almost to leave the boy.

He deserved so much more than this world can give, especially more than what he'd experienced. Carrie wishes to be the person to make things better, to care for him like Lyra had to her.

The walk home was quiet, the girls both pondering Edward intently. His story was heartbreaking to say the least. While Carrie had felt sympathy for him and his kind heart, Lyra felt rage towards the people of the town.

You see someone different and you turn against them? Is that really the morals they lived by? If they ever did that to Brahms, even to Tom, she'd end them. It was bad enough they'd done it to sweet Carrie.

The world was a cruel fucked up place, she was realising. And there was no way to avoid it.

Lyra's enveloped in a hug as soon as she enters past the threshold of her home. Carrie chuckles and slides past Tom, putting on a smile to discard the shudder of shame that runs through her body. She's disgusted to have her ancestors be of the people to attack Edward.

"You took too long." Tom whines, more than grateful for Carrie when he realises Lyra's mood had lifted in her presence.

Pulling back, he twirls a strand of red hair around his fingers, pressing a kiss to Lyra's forehead. He grabs a seat at the counter and watches the two do the same opposite him.

"Can we get takeaway?" Tom asks and as though it's a family meeting, Brahms struts into the room and takes a seat sheepishly by Lyra.

Lyra looks to Carrie who nods hastily, then Brahms who shrugs, not understanding the word.

"Absolutely. I'm craving pizza." When the orders are written in front of her and Lyra is about to call the place, the line rings in her hand. She narrows her eyes at the device as if it had known she picked it up and lifted it to her ear.

"You didn't visit me." A croak comes from the other line and Lyra pouts at the voice. She never thought she'd hear Billy Loomis sounding so weak.

"Stu didn't visit me either." She reasons. In honesty, she had felt a little guilt for not visiting Billy, or even seeing Stu. But then again, Billy was unconscious and she only found out he was alive after she died.

"He was busy making sure your whacko boyfriend didn't finish the job." Lyra's jaw clenches at the judgment in his tone.

"Then you're lucky he didn't want to. Stu couldn't stop Harry, you couldn't, I couldn't, nobody can." Lyra lists, finishing with a small shrug although he can't see her. Billy chuckles dryly.

"I wouldn't say nobody. Harmony's police force are hot on your tail, Lyra. And guess who it's led by... Kurtis! Your old best friend! But you knew that already didn't you?" His taunts make her feel sick to her Stomach. He'd only know about Kurtis through Kurtis himself which meant he was already there. Which meant they have to leave. Right Now.

The call ends and Lyra wastes no time, rushing to the bedroom where Tom sits.The fear in her eyes stirs his gut.