5. Heat

Taken looked good on Kate. That night, casted hand and all, the frontman played the best show of her life. Her solos were nothing short of ethereal, energy undeniable as she bounced around the stage. She played like a woman changed, and with Yelena just off stage and visible to fans, it was not hard to see why.

So far, a week into their deal, all parties got what they wanted. Kate's image was immediately more down to earth with a partner who seemed to be a good influence. Talks of Yelena just being a child actress were overshadowed with conversation of her pistol of a girlfriend, not to mention Tony and the band reaping the benefits of sold out shows and increased press interest.

Kate was not thinking about this, though. All she could think about was the drop dead gorgeous woman backstage, the one who sang along to her songs as if she really knew them. As if she really listened. Kate could not stop thinking about how Yelena held her hand before she went on, kissing her cheek for good luck. Most of all, Kate couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful she looked with her cropped Bughouse tee and her decadent golden jewelry and those lips that-

"Katie?" Wanda sang, absently plucking at strings on her bass as she strode over. "We know your girlfriend is hot, but are you with us?"

The fans roared, bringing a boyish grin to Kate's face as blushed, looking down at her scuffed converse. "Sorry, yeah. I'm just... really happy that she's here."

It was the softest thing Kate had ever said on stage, and Wanda's face flashed with a surprise that she quickly hid. "In that case, how about we sing Lock and Key before we say goodnight?"

Pietro left her no time to answer, counting them off into the slow jam with a hint of lovesick twang. Out of the corner of her eye, Kate swore she saw Yelena light up. The image of the blonde, hands clutched at her chest as she swayed, emboldened Kate, and during the bridge, Kate beckoned to her.

Seeing this, Wanda filled in the gaps on bass, allowing Kate to set down her instrument and disappear briefly backstage, emerging with a shy Yelena in tow. Away from her mic, the crowd could not hear Kate encouraging Yelena to come along, telling her, "They're gonna love you."

The beaming house lights and screaming crowd was immediately intense to Yelena, someone who worked behind a camera rather than to a live, rabid audience. For a moment it was too much, blinding and deafening, but Kate squeezed her hand, pulled her to the mic, and slowly the roar turned energizing rather than overwhelming.

Immediately, Yelena could see why Kate loved it out here, why her smiles seemed bigger and her eyes shined brighter. The actress imagined it was like how she felt when reading through a poignant scene for the first time, how it felt to watch it back and feel the weight and rawness of her own words. It was powerful, it was pure art.

With Peter's low chords and Wanda's bass backing them, Kate slung on her guitar, eyes on Yelena as she picked the song back up. Yelena wished she could bottle the scene- the crowd echoing Kate's raspy tones, the live rendition much more raw and authentic than the polished version on the EP. It was beautiful.

Yelena's eyes cut to her black eyebrow piercing, her tattoos. She was beautiful.

"I know it ain't for long, both of us done wrong," Kate crooned, charmed as Yelena mouthed the words back to her. "But baby can't you see, you got me under lock and key."

Yelena could not look away, scanning the veins that popped in her arms as she played, the skill so evident in her calloused hands. Though there were thousands in attendance and a few more on stage, it felt like just the two of them.

"I wrote this song before I met you," Kate confessed, speaking lowly into the mic. "It's always been about an idea, a character. Two people finding each other. Lately, though... it feels a little more real."