Chapter One - The Crystal Pool

Start from the beginning

The country air was doing her some good, he thought. 

Dorothy or Dotty has he liked to call her, had been a sickly child. Life in the city had not been good for her, it had been part of the reason Mother and Father had decided on the move.

Alice joined them. She was dressed almost identically to her sister, except for the lacy cap. Ringlets of blond hair framed her freckled face. At nearly eight years old she was the youngest member of the family. 

'I'm thirsty,' she called out eagerly. 'Can we go and get a drink?' 

'Yes, of course. Come on, there's bound to be fresh lemonade in the house.' Dotty replied with a smile.

'But what about Father? He strictly forbade us from going into the house while the building work is going on.' Alice reminded her.

Dotty shook her head. 'I am sure he will not mind, given the heat of the day.'

'I have a better idea,' Henry put in. He pointed towards the small clump of trees part the way down the slope. 'There is a pool, cool water, all you can drink.'

Dotty shook her head again. 'Father said we were not to leave the gardens.'

Henry looked across to where his Father was still talking to the foreman, gesticulating towards the building as if pointing out some work that still needed doing. 'He seems busy, I do not think he will miss us for a moment,' he smiled. 'Come on.' 

The girls hesitated for a few seconds; then giggling they followed their brother out into the meadow.

Henry skipped on ahead, his mop of dark curly hair bouncing in time to his movements. He wore a pale linen shirt and a pair of brown breeches that reached his knees. White stockings and black buckled shoes completed his outfit. He had discarded his waistcoat earlier when he had started to feel hot. It was now hanging somewhere in the garden. I must remember to pick it up when I get back, he thought. 

Henry, the voice called out, startling him. It was so loud he instantly thought someone was stood beside him. He stopped and looked around, no one was there. His sisters were still some way behind him and he realized it had not been them calling out to him.

Henry, I have need of your help, the insistent voice came again.

'Who's there?' he shouted unsure if he was really hearing the voice. Maybe it was the heat, he thought. He had been out in the hot sun for a while.

'Whatever is the matter?' asked Dotty coming up beside him. 'You look like you have seen a ghost.'

'I do not know. I thought I heard someone call...' he started to say.

Children, hurry, I have need of your help. 

Alice jumped at the sound. A look of nervous fear crossed her face.

'What is the ma...?' queried Dotty.

'You both heard it,' Henry whispered, interrupting her.

'Well I would not say I heard it...the voice...it appeared to be in my head,' Dotty answered a little hesitantly.

Do not be afraid, I mean you no harm.

Dotty was right, there was no sound, just a faint buzz that accompanied the mysterious voice.

Dotty spoke, trying to keep her words steady 'Who are you? What do you want?' 

Come to the water, I will explain all to you there

'No,' she shouted. 'Quickly back to the house.'

Dotty took hold of Alice's hand and turned to run, hoping Henry would follow. She had only taken a few steps when she sensed her brother was not with them. She turned back. To her horror, she saw Henry had continued his walk towards the trees. An odd stiff-backed walk, like he was no longer in control of his body.

'Henry,' she cried, running after him. She grasped his arm spinning him around. 'Henry, what is the matter?' she asked again.

She looked into his eyes and was met with a strange vacant expression. Dotty knew her brother no longer recognised her. He roughly pushed her aside, with greater strength than he should have possessed, and continued on.  

'What have you done with my brother?' she called out. 

Henry spun towards her. His eyes flickered, turning as black as coal. She stifled a scream. 

His mouth opened.

The voice did not belong to her brother, instead, it was soft and sibilant. 'No harm will come to him if you do as I ask,' it warned. 

'How do I know you are telling the truth when you are controlling his mind?'

'You must trust me. Come to the water's edge, I will explain everything.' said the voice. 

Dotty was torn between running back to alert her father and staying with her brother. If she left Henry who knows what would have happened by the time they returned? She looked down at Alice who was still clinging to the skirt of her dress.

'Alice,' she whispered anxiously. 'Do you think you can run back and fetch Father?'

'Why? What is wrong with Henry? He is scaring me,' Alice said softly, her small face pale with fright.

Dotty forced a smile. 'He will be alright,' she told Alice. 'Go now quickly.' 

'No, I cannot allow that,' hissed Henry. 

Dotty looked at him a puzzled expression on her face. 'Why ever not? What are you going to do if she does go?'

Henry's black eyes fixed on her once more. 'It will be easy for me to stop her. But I would rather not...' the sentence was left hanging.

'Henry, please,' she shouted trying to break through whatever malady gripped her brother's mind. 'Please come back to us, it is Dotty and Alice, your sisters.'

He smiled reassuringly and for a moment Dotty thought she had reached him. But the dark eyes still surveyed her. 'You will soon have your brother back, unharmed, just come to the water.'

Dotty could see no other way. She could not risk going back and alerting her father, not with the unfinished threat hanging over them. Neither could she leave her brother on his own. She would have to trust whatever controlled her brother's actions. Trust that it would keep the promises it had made.

Henry continued his extraordinary walk towards the copse and the pond that was hidden in its midst.  

They reached the trees and discovered a pathway that led them through the tightly packed shrubbery and brambles. The pond lay before them. It glistened in the sunlight that lanced down through the branches of the willow trees. Henry walked to the edge of the water and stared silently out across its smooth surface. Dotty and Alice stood beside him wondering what was about to happen. A movement caught Dotty's eye. She swung towards it, but it was just some dragonflies flitting around the reed beds. She looked down, pond skaters scudded between the patches of water lilies, and beyond them, even deeper in the crystal clear water she thought she saw something moving rhythmically. A flash of quicksilver. She looked again, trying to see past the reflections of the surrounding trees and bushes. Yes, something was down there, deeper than she thought possible in such a small pond. It appeared to be large and sinuous, and it was heading their way.  

Dotty took a step back pulling Alice with her. She tried to tug Henry away from the pond's edge but even as she reached out to grab his arm he wrenched it away from her. 

Then the surface of the pond exploded outwards. Large droplets of water showered them, soaking their clothes and blinding them for a second.

Dotty wiped a sleeve across her face, clearing the water from her eyes. She glanced briefly at Alice who had tripped and fallen backwards. Alice lay open-mouthed indicating towards something out in the pond. Dotty turned, following her sisters pointing finger.

She gasped.

There, its scales glinting bright silver in the dappled sunshine was a dragon.