Prologue

I wake up in my room, a small beam of orange light sliding through the curtain. There's a tapping on my window. I pull myself out of bed and walk over to my window. I stand for a moment, hesitating. This feels... real. Like I've been here before. I open the window and look down, there's no one there. As I close the window and start to walk back to bed. A voice speaks from outside the window. "Hello there." I know that voice. "Who's there?" I ask, turning back towards the window. There's a pop outside and the light outside goes out. I wake up, alone. I glance at the alarm clock next to my bed. 3:18 a.m.

"Again?! Why can't I just get a good night sleep- just ONCE!?" I yell to myself, I turn over and bundle up beneath the covers in my bed, the streetlights beckoning through the gapped curtains. I reach for my phone, opening the YouTube app. I scroll through for what seems like forever before giving up and just climbing out of bed. I walk into the kitchenette of my small studio apartment. While little, it was better than nothing. I turn on the light and grab a bag of coffee from the shelf and a filter from the cabinet. Once I start the coffee maker, I return to my bed and turn on the TV. I click on Netflix and turn on an anime that I've been watching, picking up my phone to scroll through my socials. I come upon a post that's announcing PAX East in a few days. Oh my God, I haven't packed yet! I jump out of bed and grab my suitcase and start throwing clothes into it, how could I forget about PAX?

This would be my first one as a creator instead of a fan, I've already scheduled off of work for it. My boss doesn't like the idea of me not being at work but she let me off anyways. Charlotte Vandersen was not the friendliest of people but she knows I stay on top of my work, even when I have other things going on. Like when my papa passed... I took off to be with family in my hometown but I still got all of my work done pretty quickly. She knows she can trust me and I won't let her down, for the sake of my career... I can't let her down.

I finish getting everything organized into my bag and make sure I have my carry-ons ready. The coffee maker beeps. I walk into the kitchen, get my mug and pour my coffee into it, adding two teaspoons of sugar to the black coffee in the cup. I finish perfecting my coffee and carry it back to my bed, situating myself and continuing to scroll. After about twenty minutes of mindless scrolling, I set my phone back on my nightstand and take my mug to the kitchen to wash it, emptying out the coffee maker in the process and turning off the lights. I head back to my bed.