Chapter 5: Kill The Trial [Part 3]

Start from the beginning

Numa also confirmed a case where he witnessed his brother raping a female captive, the daughter of the Chief of the Ice Snake tribe. Kuma admitted to having never been with a woman before and always wanted to. Numa asserted that when northern women find out he is a prince like him, they would be "all over him". After Kuma proved himself in battle by slaying five Ice Snake warriors, Numa decided it was time "his brother become a man" and would give him a woman. Kuma said he was initially excited, but then became horrified the woman he provided him with was the clan chief's daughter, stripped, bound, and gagged.

"Numa, I don't think I can force myself on a woman. This feels, sick. I want to be with a woman who wants me to have her" Kuma recalled telling Numa.

Numa became enraged accusing his brother of being "ungrateful" and all-talk about wanting women. Numa then proceeded to rape the girl himself. Later, he had her killed when she tried to escape. This all happened the day before the Imperial Army took God's Frost, leaving Kuma traumatized and stunned for a week afterwards. Kuma finished explaining that despite Numa's promises, he seemed to seldom use his brother in combat often having him perform menial tasks keeping inventory and making sure he and his sister's weapons were sharp and their armor was handled. (Numa did not trust these tasks to mere slaves).

After Kuma's testimony, it was time for Numa to cross-examine him. But of course, instead of proceeding to question him. Numa merely taunted his brother.

"I know the Imperials think I am guilty of their crimes. I care not for what their crimes are. I am a man of North, and I did nothing wrong. Unlike what you have admitted to here, Kuma. You have outed yourself as not only slimy and cowardly, but treacherous, who sold out not only the North, but to your own family! Not even Rumi will forgive you for this-"

"You leave her out of this, you asshole!" snapped Kuma.

"Order!" Judge Gray yelled banging his gavel.

"Mr. Seika, I understand the bitter riff between you and your brother, but the point of cross-examination is to question the witness, not disparage them. If you keep this up, it will end", Judge Gray warned.

Numa sighed. "Very well. Brother, is it true when you rightfully headed my call for Northerners to take up arms against the Imperials, you did so willingly?"

Kuma hesitated for a moment, caught off guard by the question. He began to panic and sweat, before answering with a meek "yes".

"When we went to war against the Tesaks and their allies, did you fight their men and kill many in the process?"

"Yes", Kuma answered. He knew what Numa was doing. Numa was going down, and he was going to bring him down with him.

"When we attacked the Imperial garrisons did you kill Imperial soldiers?"

Kuma then began to sweat profusely and breathe heavily, looking at Bach nervously for a sign. To his dismay, Bach merely looked back at him expressionless.

"I – I did." Kuma answered.

Numa then smiled malevolently.

"Is it true you were offered a deal to testify against me which included immunity from prosecution in relation to the North's resistance, an oath of loyalty to the Empire and service in the Imperial Army after the trial's conclusion?"

"Y-yes..." Kuma answered whimpering.

Numa then turned around glared at the courtroom as if he was about to address them.

"And there it is! My brother is a spineless craven! I am being tried for rebelling against the Empire and treason. If I am a traitor, then so is my brother! And yet, he gets to walk away for squealing on me! You call this justice? This is a farce and you all know it!"