Aria James

May 2021

From Nobody to Somebody: How Aria James' Brit Award win has changed the singers life.

Last week, Aria James stopped the music world turning as she took to the stage to collect her award for Song of the Year

Last week, Aria James stopped the music world turning as she took to the stage to collect her award for Song of the Year. The 24 year old was overwhelmed with emotion, choking back tears as she thanked her friends and family, beginning her walk off stage before running back to the microphone to thank her manager, agent and label, a sweet and innocent mistake that melted the hearts of the room.

Sitting in the front room of Aria's mother's home in Manchester, it's difficult to fathom that she has become a well-known figure. The house appears modest, the surroundings are desolate, and personal belongings are scarce. Aria is perched in front of our team wearing a grey tracksuit, with her hair styled in a messy bun and mismatched socks. As we start, she emphasises the importance of reporting truthfully and thoroughly, leaving no room for speculation. She wants to show that success is obtainable for working-class families.

Hi Aria.
Hi.

It's been a crazy month for you, hasn't it?
It has. It's been a month of insane luxury, if I'm honest.

What does insane luxury look like?
Well, it all started one month ago yesterday. I got a call from my manager, Heather. She told me we had been invited to the Brits. I knew I was nominated, but I thought it was a pity vote. You know, something to make the inclusion statistics look better.
Before I knew it, we were in a hotel with a glam team, they were dressing me in these expensive outfits that I thought only existed on tv. We travelled in a private car to the awards, and then I strutted down the red carpet behind people like Ed Sheeran and Stormzy. Harry Styles was there too!

What was that like?
Awful. I hated every second of it. It was like putting a child in a crocodile infested lake.

They weren't nice to you?
Oh, they were really nice. I just felt like they might eat me up and spit me out.

When did you realise you were in with a chance of winning?
They sat us pretty close to the stage and my manager kept saying that was a good thing. I didn't believe her, I thought she was just worried I would look miserable all night without hope. The moment I realised I was in with a chance of winning was the moment I actually won.

You thanked your mother, not your father.
Him? I call him my sperm donor. Can you put that in? I don't have a nicer way to say it. My mother played the role of both my parents and I wouldn't have it any other way.

You're close to your mother then?
Very. You can call her Joanna, or Jo. She hates when I call her mother, that's why I continue to do it.

Who is Aria James?
That's deep. To be honest, I'm just a normal 24 year old. My mother raised me alone, we came from nothing. We still have nothing. Well, now we have a Brit. I'm not sure what that means, but hopefully it means I might be able to repay her for being so good at parenting.