Chapter 8: Je N'en Connais Pas La Fin

Montivilliers (just outside Le Havre), September 1939

A nervous energy ripples through your limbs as the four others leave, traipsing across the garden to the neighbouring cottage, leaving you and your new husband alone. Still waving awkwardly from the patio as they all disappear from view. A chill passes through you, just noticing how cold the night air is, autumn drawing in and without the warmth of Benedict holding you in some way, as he has been the past few hours. You startle slightly as he interrupts your reverie by chivalrously wrapping the faux fur stole around your shoulders.

"It's my something borrowed," you blurt, unsure what else to say.

"Eloise?"

You just nod, too nervous all of a sudden to look up at him.

"Let's get inside," he suggests, observing even the extra layer does not halt your shiver, gesturing to the kitchen door.

You walk awkwardly past, catching a whiff of his delicious scent that you woke up to this morning, the involuntary urge to sway into him intense.

You drift to the living room, Benedict wandering to the gramophone, putting on a mellow jazz record before taking a seat; part of you sad he chooses the armchair, not the sofa beside you.

"Well... that was a day," he understates in his usual affable manner.

"I don't know how I can ever thank you," you respond earnestly, looking down at the simple band on your finger by reflex. "It's all thanks to you that I have a chance to escape while I still can."

"You would have done the same for me," he demures with a quiet certainty that makes you yearn to touch him.

Instead, you exchange slightly awkward smiles, the mantlepiece clock ticking sounding so loud, even with the music playing.

"And I'm sure you will get home one day," he assures. "Your family, I'm certain, miss you... and... And your fiancee," the reluctance in his words evident.

"I'm not sure a married woman can have a fiancé anymore," you remark; the lash of guilt every time Stanley's name is invoked lessening with every moment you spend alone with Benedict.

"You can once you are a single woman again, as soon as you are safe," he counters softly, so altruistic in his manner your throat almost itching with unspent words—a want to yell. No! Fight for me! I want you more than I ever will want him!!

"You yourself said on the train that perhaps there is something better out there for me," you respond cautiously. "The longer this adventure runs, the more certain I am of that."

His mien is profound as you finally raise your eyes to his, wanting so much to say more but feeling too tongue-tied and cowardly to be that selfish, to declare he is what you want.

He shakes himself a little and leans back into the armchair as if resetting himself and the line of conversation. Like he senses the mutual danger lurking there.

"Tomorrow, when we sail... they will likely notice the date on our marriage certificate," Benedict counsels gently. "That may raise flags about the authenticity of our union."

"What can we do to assuage them?"

"Come up with a plausible story. Be physically affectionate. They may ask no questions, or they may ask as many as they wish," he warns, "especially of you. They may ask you about..." Benedict pauses, his face flushing a little, "... intimate matters. They have every right to ask if the marriage has been consummated."

You feel yourself flashing hot as he says it. "I should lie?" you whisper.

"You should say whatever you think will make them believe we are a real couple," he obfuscates.