Chapter 5: Sans Y Penser

Le Havre, September 1939

The port city of Le Havre is bustling with travellers hauling suitcases and steamer trunks, all walks of life converging on this point of exit. You weave through the crowds from the train station as a trio, headed for the bright red awnings of the company sailing to the USA. Benedict and Eloise hang back as you approach the ticket window.

"Name?" the brusque man in the booth opens with a crisp American accent.

"Y/n y/l/n," you smile politely.

"You are not on the manifest," he sighs after a pause to scan down the paperwork, impatience colouring his tone.

"But I must be," you frown, "I was given this here..."

You push your ticket under the window, clearly marked with today's date.

"Fraudsters," his economic response.

"But... they were from your company? Outside your offices in Paris? And wearing your company livery? They... They said I could bring forward my sailing date from August to today. They took my original ticket and gave me this! It looks the same!" Panic rises in your voice with each sentence, dread churning behind your ribs as you realise you have likely been duped.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but that is not a valid ticket," is his monotone reply.

"Oh god. What can I do? May I buy another ticket now?!?"

His responding laugh is a loud bark, "Hah! Ma'am, we are booked up for weeks in advance. There is a long line every day of people hoping for last-minute availability," he signals to a line of weary-looking, luggage-laden folks under a makeshift shelter.

"But I...." you feel your eyes watering and dread in the pit of your stomach like you are falling down an endless chasm.

"Ma'am, please step aside; I need to ensure valid passengers can board this ship..." he warns in a tone that is wholly without sympathy.

With a weak nod, you stumble away, back towards Benedict and Eloise. As you draw closer, their faces are a picture of concern, realising something is amiss. As you tearfully recount what happened, Benedict seethes, and Eloise wraps her arm around you, looking pained.

"I'm going up there. This is unacceptable!" Benedict grits out, righteous indignation fizzing from his very being.

You have to hold out a hand to physically stop him. "It's likely no use," you appease.

His ire deflates a fraction at your hold on his coat sleeve. "At least let me try, y/n," he modifies after a few beats.

"Alright," you relent, dropping your hand, "but I do not expect a different answer."

You and Eloise cling to each other as you watch Benedict remonstrate with the same man and then a different one at the window. All the while, your stomach is in knots, equal parts fear and hope.

It's five or more minutes before Benedict returns to you, his face pinched.

"I was not successful," he screws his mouth, looking away as if he cannot meet your eye as he says it. "They don't seem to care that criminals are posing as agents for their organisation," he rubs his eyebrow in irritation. "I would report it to the police, but it's not their jurisdiction here, and it still does not solve our dilemma..."

"Thank you anyway..." you breathe, "for trying at least..."

There is a long silence as the three of you stand there, stupified by the conundrum before you. The chime of a clock on the harbour building breaks your thoughts.