Christmas Dinner

I stood in my kitchen at 41 Watery Lane. Baskets of bread, scones, and cakes covered the table. Two large dishes of roasted carrots and potatoes were in the oven. Three more sat cooling on the counter. I hope I made enough. Tommy didn't say how many men Aberama Gold brought with him so I prepared for more than just the four I saw.

John's favorite cinnamon scones were the only baked goods I made myself. The others I bought from the bakery not having enough time to do it from scratch before I was due to be at Charlie's yard.

The smell of the scones bring back so many memories of laughter. The squeals of John's kids as they ran barefoot and wild. The whole Shelby clan laughing at John and Arthur racing to see who could eat the most scones in under a minute. Even brooding Tommy laughed at Arthur choking on his sixth one.

I'm filled with sadness knowing that I'll not see John's children or wife for a long time. In order to keep the kids safe the Lee's caravan would have to keep to moving, not telling anyone where they are. Despite understanding Esme's reasons for going, it felt as if John's whole branch of the family had died with him. Esme didn't even stay long enough for her husband's funeral.

A glance at the time forced me from my spot. I needed to change before leaving. I had flour all over my black blouse.

Looking at the mirror in my room, I could see John in my reflection. We shared the same shade of blue eyes. Lighter than Arthur and Finn's but darker than both Ada and Tommy's. We had the same smirk when we were doing something we shouldn't, though the shape of my mouth matched Tommy's. I tried to see what matched my other siblings to distract myself from the lump in my throat. Ada and I shared the same eye brows. Finn and I had the same sharp nose. I couldn't see any physical similarities to Arthur but I knew we both had similar mannerisms in the way gestured when talking. Neither of us could keep still for long.

With a sigh I moved away from the mirror to my wardrobe. I didn't have many options for black tops so I chose a dark green one given to me by Aunt Polly in 1923. My twenty third birthday was the last one celebrated as a family before resentment and betrayal split us apart.

After reapplying my lipstick I walked downstairs and out the front to the car where two blinders, James and Henry were waiting for me. "Grab the food from the kitchen table boys. Don't spill it 'eh."

Directing my usual bodyguards to take the baskets of food to the long table set up the scrap yard I walked towards Uncle Charlie and Johnny Doggs. "How's the birds coming along? I brought flour so we could make a gravy from the drippings."

"Did ya' bring potatoes? I dropped a whole pan into the fire." Johnny almost looked ready to burst into tears he was so wound up.

"Aye, I brought potatoes." I chuckled as a shared a look of confusion with uncle Charlie. "Bread and things too. There's enough scones to feed the entire British military."

"Princess Shelby you are a gift to the world! A gift I tell ya!" Johnny wrapped his arm around my shoulders smiling from ear to ear. "I don't want that dirty bastard Aberama Gold thinking we eat like diddycoys! We eat proper now!"

"Uncle Charlie can you bring a pot over for the gravy?" I asked the older man. It only took a moment for the tall man to rummage around the yard and return with a dented soup pot. "Won't take long to finish up, you can join the others if you want. Send James and Henry back this way to do the heavy lifting."

"Good, I'm fucking starving." Charlie rasped out before heading towards the table.

When the coast was clear I leaned in towards Johnny. "I'll bet you ten pound at least one of Gold's boys will get caught trying to steal from the yard."

"Deal Princess!"

Curly stood to give me his seat between Johnny and Charlie when I finally joined the table carrying the pot of gravy. Henry following behind me with the final goose. "Thank you Curly! Make sure you get some extra cakes for later, don't let Tommy eat them all."

The simple man gave me a sweet smile. "Oh I will I will. I don't think Tommy eats cakes though. Maybe if they have whiskey?" He gave a happy nod and ran off to grab something to store his extra cakes in.

"You know I don't think I've ever seen Tommy eat." Henry said as he placed the goose down in front of Lizzie.

At that moment Tommy and Polly joined the table from the side of the yard. Taking their place at the end of the table on the opposite side of Aberama Gold and his three men.

Arthur stood with his whiskey raised causing us all to raise our own glasses. "To our brother John. God rest his soul."

All as on we toasted. "To John!"

The sound of voices muffled through a lace veil echo through my ears.

After we all ate the sun was just starting to drop. Aberama and the youngest of the men he brought got up from the table moving walking towards the stables. I got up to intercept Tommy when he began to follow them. "Tommy! Which one of us is being married off? Who did you offer to Mr. Gold?"

The bells continue to ring, growing louder by the minute.