Chapter 23

A.J. P.O.V.
- - - - - - - - -
"They're boarding now, you want me to take your carry on for you?"

I scooted Sky up on my shoulder, as Marissa turned around, facing me.

"No it's fine," she said in a sigh as she hanged up her phone. "I couldn't get him anyways....ill just try again when the plane lands,"

I examined the look of sadness she had on her face, as she shoved her phone into her back pocket, as she picked up her carry on bag.

"....... I can carry it for you, I don't mind,"

She shook her head no. "No, you're already carrying your own bag, and Sky, I'll manage,"

I nodded. "Alright......well ladies first," I motioned for her to step infront of me as we made our way to our gate.

We shuffled our way through the line of people, as we both found our seats.

I placed all of our luggage above us, handing Sky over to Marissa, as she got her situated in the window seat.

I took my seat on the end, buckling myself up, before making sure the two of them were secured.

"She's still knocked out huh?" I asked, looking over at Sky, who was asleep up against the window.

"Hopefully it stays that way," Marissa started. "She's not to keen on flying, but the Benadryl beforehand was a good idea,"

I nodded. "That's how my grandma got me to fly when I was younger, just make sure you put those headphones on her, and she'll be good,"

She nodded. "Thanks for changing your flight and flying in with us, I appreciate the extra set of hands,"

"No problem, thanks for booking the room for me, I don't know how I forgot to do that,"

She slightly chuckled. "Well you do live in LA, wouldn't it make more sense for you to just go back home instead of a hotel?"

"Not exactly, I live a good half a hour away from Aliyah, so if I plan to be at the birth or whatever ima need to be closer to actually make it there,"

She nodded. "Makes sense, is Mariah coming? I haven't seen her in awhile,"

"Uh.....nah.... she's not, she has some family stuff of her own going on right now, so she's not gonna be there,"

"Oh," she said lowly. "Well I guess both of our partners will be missing out," she sighed heavily, before resting her head back on her chair.

"Yeah......Malcolm should be back though right?"

"Yeah on Sunday, so he'll be back when we fly back in,"

"Right.... Just making sure, guess that means we'll be saying our goodbyes soon,"

"Guess so,"

We slightly smiled at one another, as I pulled my phone out of my pocket, about to put my phone on airplane mode.

I tapped my screen with my thumb, looking down at the text notification I had.

I frowned a little bit, staring down at the unsaved number, wondering who it was, but then it hit me.

I carefully tapped the notification, opening up the message, reading it to myself

Hey son, just checking in. I landed in LA yesterday evening. Whenever you get some time I was thinking we can have lunch. Let me know what works for you. Can't wait to see you.

I stared down at the message, unsure how to respond. The closer I got to going back home, the closer I knew my meet up with my mother was, and I wasn't sure how to feel about it.