"Thistleclaw said ambition was everything a leader needed!" Tigerstar hissed. "And he was right—ambition led me to this. I'm not a leader because of compassion. I'm a leader because of power! Power is all I've ever needed; not love or support. Why can no cat understand that?"

A group of cats broke away from the ranks and surrounded Tigerstar and he hissed at them as they glared at him. He quickly recognised the cats who had died in the war against RiverClan: Brindleface, Crookedstar, Greypool, Runningwind, and even Stonefur.

Runningwind stepped forward. "Too much death happened over an unneeded war."

"No mercy was shown at all." Crookedstar narrowed his green eyes.

"Cats of all ages suffered," Greypool rasped.

"The warrior code was broken." Stonefur, whose face had been so ravaged before death, looked normal again, his blue eyes glowing with wisdom.

Brindleface stepped forward, her soft green eyes wide with anguish. "You've turned my son into a monster," she whispered. "You made him murder a cat at six moons old! You've turned him into you..."

A voice spoke—not an individual cat this time, but an echo vibrating inside Tigerstar's head as if all five cats were speaking to him at once. "Tigerstar, cats will be coming. Cats who are known to you but unknown to the Clan."

As Tigerstar stared, rigid with shock, the voice went on: "Make the right choice; amend yourself."

Tigerstar watched as Ravenpaw padded forward. "If you see Barley, tell him what happened to me." The black tom had a look of grief in his gaze. "I told him I'd be back by sundown.."

The shapes of the StarClan warriors seemed to dissolve into light. Tigerstar felt their strength flooding through him as water soaked into the thirsty ground, and he knew the courage that came with faith restored.

"He's waking up." A gruff but familar voice seemed to echo in the darkness and the scent of crow-food reached Tigerstar's tongue.

He blinked open his eyes, groaning as an aching spread through his muscles. He saw four jet black paws beside him and flinched as a white head bent down towards him.

"Is he okay?" A second anxious mew sounded beside him.

"I don't know." The first cat sniffed his head. "He seems pretty out of it."

As his head eventually stopped pounding, Tigerstar recognised the cat in front of him. "Blackfoot?" He croaked.

Blackfoot blinked. "You're okay!"

A ginger tabby cat padded up next to Blackfoot. "I could have sworn he wasn't breathing!"

A grey-and-brown cat rolled her eyes. "Snag, you fog-brain! He's Clan leader now; he has nine lives!" She turned to look at Tigerstar. "We thought you'd forgotten about us," she purred in amusant.

Tigerstar grunted as he attempted to move. "I could never forget about you, Tangleburr."

"We were passing through ShadowClan when were just saw you and another cat lying on the Thunderpath." Tigerstar recognised Mowgli's voice.

Blackfoot blinked slowly at him. "Your friend wasn't as lucky as you." He glanced at the ruffled black fur of Ravenpaw lying a few fox-lengths away.

Tigerstar raised his head feebly. "He's not my friend," he grunted. "My enemy, actually."

Snag exchanged a glance with Tangleburr. "Can you get up?"

"Of course I can!" He snapped, already pressing himself up onto his forepaws. He stood up and swayed as the forest spun around him. Blackfoot hurried forward and pressed against his side to steady him. Tigerstar didn't complain as he felt his legs buckling beneath him and he collapsed back onto the floor.

"You need a medicine cat." Tangleburr pressed her nose gently onto his flank and he winced. She looked up in shock. "Surely that didn't hurt!"

"It felt like it!" Tigerstar snapped.

Mowgli looked into ThunderClan territory. "I could go and get one." He suggested.

Tigerstar snorted. "And my camp full of warriors would chase you out and we'd still be stuck here. What a great plan!" He meowed sarcastically.

"You're lucky we didn't leave you lying on the Thunderpath!" Mowgli snapped, lashing his tail angrily. "Stop acting like a spoiled kit and think of a better plan if mine is so bad!"

He narrowed his amber eyes and sniffed. "We just need to wait for the evening patrol and they'll find us." He rested his head on his paws, feeling battered and bruised.

Mowgli shrugged and sat down, pricking his ears as he stared into the forest, his posture tall and tense as he listened out for cats.

The day seemed to drag on as slow as a snail and the heat beared down onto Tigerstar. He panted, blinking blearily up at the sun. Blackfoot followed his gaze. "Should we move to the shade?" He suggested. "You'll get heatstroke if you stay here."

Tigerstar nodded wearily and braced himself to stand. He staggered to his paws and Snag and Blackfoot quickly pressed against his sides to support him. As they reached the trees, he flopped onto the floor, gasping from the effort. Why am I so weak?

There was a rustling of bushes and a ferocious hiss sounded out.

"Get away from our leader!"